Syllable Forum Index Syllable
Syllable Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

0.6.6 RC (03 Mar 2009) extremley slow on VirtualBox
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kaj
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the keyboard should be handled according the instructions during the installation.
Gouslar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ideally, the keyboard event buffer should be cleared (all events ignored) before printing a question to answer. This practice was frequent at MSX software (a 8-bit architecture). And it was useful.
Kaj
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the installer has long been planned to be replaced. It does do something in that direction, but it fails if you use SPACE to advance in info texts. The instructions are to use ENTER.
Ronaldlees

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:58 am    Post subject: qemu update Reply with quote

Recently, I was doing a recompile of Webster, but couldn't compile and link the bigger libraries (such as libWebCore) because I was using an old machine that had only a little memory. The machines that Syllable runs best on are the older ones - at least that's the case around here.

Anyway, the system was thrashing and I knew it wasn't going anywhere fast, so I chucked the installation on the old machine and used VirtualBox on a new machine instead. With the VirtualBox processor tab set to use two processors, Syllable wouldn't boot. WIth the VirtualBox processor tab set to use one processor, and the AMD-V turned off in my BIOS, Syllable would boot, but was too slow to compile anything, even with the large memory footprint on the newer machine.

With the AMD-V BIOS option enabled, Syllable was fast enough to do the job on Vbox, and compiled WebCore in about three hours (actually not bad). Does this make sense?

The other interesting thing is that Syllable runs fine with the two processors on the older machine (which has two physical CPUs, and is not using virtualbox). The cpu meter shows a nice split of the workload between the physcial processors..
Kaj
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syllable's SMP support is flaky. It works great on some machines and not at all on others, or makes the system very unreliable.

That said, for its part, VirtualBox has always done very flaky things in its emulation, that are meant to accelerate known operating systems but don't work on others.

I don't know about the AMD-V setting, but I'm not surprised about such fickle results.
Ronaldlees

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kaj:

The Vbox Syllable is the fastest way I can run the OS. It's quite nice actually. The other machines that can run Syllable directly-on-hardware are slower than this Vbox instance, because this machine is so much faster (with the AMD-V). So, I'll just be using this one from now on, I guess.

Sorry for the necro-thread bump.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Syllable Forum Index -> Bugs All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: