Syllable Forum Index Syllable
Syllable Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Building Syllable
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
werdna

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, the steps mentioned work... sort of. It looks like Syllable builds, but maybe not all of it? Looking in the stage folder, I see appserver has the same date as the running version, and libsyllable.so.7 is missing from the libraries folder.

I am, specifically, trying to work on things in the appserver. So I modified the Makefile in the libsyllable directory to get it to compile, but now I get:

/storage/attribute.cpp:290: error: 'struct attr_info' has no member named 'ai_size'

Any thoughts or ideas? How can I compile just libsyllabe and test my changes?
Kaj
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That doesn't look right.

Much of the information you ask for is in the Builder manual. Section 3.3 mentions that

build log failures

will report the number of failed modules after building a list (profile) of them.

Section 3.6 explains building a single system module. Use that with the path to the LibSyllable or AppServer directory from the system source directory.

You shouldn't have to change the makefiles. What did you change?
werdna

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I set environment variables

ATHEOS_SRC
ATHEOS_INCLUDE_PATH
ATHEOS_LIB_PATH

to the top to try to get only libsyllable to compile. I will attempt to read over the manual again, I guess I am not understanding things correctly.

Is it possible to only build certain parts, and not the whole system? Again, right now I'm trying to work on only the appserver and libsyllable.
Kaj
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have to set environment variables if you use Builder: it does that for you. If you do, you risk messing up Builder's environment. They certainly don't work like you describe.

Again, section 3.6 of the manual explains how to build a single system component instead of multiple of them. If you need to change LibSyllable, you can build that first, and then the AppServer. If you make Builder install the new LibSyllable in the stage/ directory with the "image" command, the AppServer build will use it.
werdna

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apologize for my misunderstanding. I had skipped over section 3.6 before. Always Read The Fine Manual, right? Very Happy
The Build system is working correctly... it looks like, however, there are still compile errors:

/system/stage/image/system/development/headers/atheos/fs_attribs.h:40 error: 'off_t' does not name a type
/system/stage/image/system/development/headers/atheos/fs_attribs.h:52 error: 'off_t' does not name a type
/system/stage/image/system/development/headers/atheos/fs_attribs.h:53 error: 'size_t' does not name a type
/storage/attribute.cpp: In member function 'off_t os::Attribute::GetSize()':
/storage/attribute.cpp:290: error: 'struct attr_info' has no member named 'ai_size'
Kaj
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first errors are most meaningful, because subsequent errors are usually caused by them. You're lacking the very basic definitions for off_t and size_t. Did you install the development files pack? Did you test your development environment by compiling a trivial program?
werdna

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have the Developer's Delight pack installed as well as the SyllableDestkop-0.6.7-Development pack installed.

I am able to compile a template application created by sIDE just fine.
Kaj
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, that's good.

off_t missing causes ai_size missing later on. fs_attribs.h doesn't include the headers to define those basic types, so that's not good practice. It relies on the calling headers to have included them. So that hasn't happened somewhere.

Is this LibSyllable compiling? Are you using the Syllable 0.6.6 source package, or do you let Builder get the latest source from CVS? What is the exact command you give to compile LibSyllable? Are there earlier errors in the output, particularly about header files not found?
werdna

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I am attempting to compile LibSyllable. I am not using the 0.6.6 source package, I am letting Builder get sources from CVS.

I have the sources located in /home/root/src/syllable. So from ~/src/syllable/system I run:

build sys/appserver/libsyllable

There are no other errors, but plenty of warnings. There are a lot of warnings about "kernel.h is deprecated," but again, no errors.
werdna

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added an include of <syllable/types.h> to headers/atheos/fs_attribs.h, and fixed the pointer errors in storage/attribute.cpp, and now LibSyllable is compiling. Not sure what I did was correct, but it works, and now I can focus on the areas that I'm trying to work.

Thanks for the help and patience with my stupidity, Kaj.

-Andrew
Kaj
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations!

I wouldn't call it stupidity. Smile Building all this is a very hairy business that we've been occupied with for more than a decade.

Kristian had been reorganising and cleaning up the system headers for a number of years. As you can see, this process isn't complete yet. I had been considering adding an include for posix/types.h. It's always hard to determine the most correct course of action.

If using the 0.6.6 sources something else might have been wrong, but I'm not sure the latest sources in CVS compile cleanly, so the fix you made is OK for now.
werdna

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, next question then: how do I compile with debug symbols?
Kaj
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See section 2.2 of the manual: Builder-wide settings are in Builder/settings. At the end of the default file there's a no-strip directive that you can uncomment.

This relies on the makefiles not stripping the debug information, so that Builder has the control over it.
werdna

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course! Here I am, not reading the manual again. Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Syllable Forum Index -> Syllable Desktop All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: