Syllable Forum Index Syllable
Syllable Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ten Years after ...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bogomips

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:58 am    Post subject: Ten Years after ... Reply with quote

Hello,

In a few days, July 16 exactly, the whole world (and the whole universe) will celebrate the tenth anniversary of the first official version of Syllable.
I took a little ahead and I booked the cake: http://blog.pairnic.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/birthday_cake.jpg

and also the Champagne here: http://collaredtimes.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/champagne-bottles.jpg

Wink
Kaj
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that's very attentive. Smile Were you already there at the time?
Bogomips

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely not. In 2002, I was (already) a victim of Windows. Very Happy I knew Linux since the mid-90s but not Atheos.

At the beginning of 2009, I was looking for an alternative to Linux and I arrived on the site of Syllable. But I hesitated to register on the forum. I thought joining Aros because apparently there are more french users there.

But I don't regret my choice and now I'm having fun. Smile
nos

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on ten years Very Happy
oslover

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: I wuz there in the beginning Reply with quote

My b'day is July 16, heh. I was around these forums even then, also known as oslover. At the time Syllable was vying with SkyOS by Szeleny. SkyOS is now defunct, I see Vanders has kept Syllable going. Good job.
Ronaldlees

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Bogomips"]Absolutely not. In 2002, I was (already) a victim of Windows. Very Happy I knew Linux since the mid-90s but not Atheos.

At the beginning of 2009, I was looking for an alternative to Linux and I arrived on the site of Syllable. But I hesitated to register on the forum. I thought joining Aros because apparently there are more french users there.

But I don't regret my choice and now I'm having fun. Smile[/quote]

Linux has joined Windows, spiritually. Systemd proves that. There is a group fighting to put systemd even on FreeBSD. I consider that "true believers" will migrate to niche operating systems like this one or Haiku, or even home brewed bare metal type systems.

None of the big four browsers, packaged with the big three operating systems, meets my criteria for trustworthyness anymore. I fell into a thread (I couldn't believe it was out in the open) - by developers of one of the "big four" - discussing how best to spy on people. OK - their terminology for this was couched in terms like "statistical data collection for enhancing the user's experience" - as usual. Patently obvious (to me anyway) was significant hidden agenda pressure to do this surreptitiously, in a way that was, under certain conditions, IMO, traceable. That was enough "significant hidden agenda pressure" for me to jump ship, and sail on my own like captain Jack Smile

The smart people know that mainstream software (OS or other), including the likes of most of Linux, is no longer a viable option. I think that people with the savy to know what's really happening, will always to be in the minority, and will use tight, compact little operating systems like the one in this domain, or derivatives of the same or similar.

Even if Kaj pulls the plug on this site, thinking that he is tired of reading one person's rants, or if Axel retires from Haiku, the source code bases will live on.
Ronaldlees

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We grew up with Unix, DOS, Windows, Apple's various operating systems, and then Linux. All the while, we were like frogs in the pot, using the stuff gleefully and not noticing any downsides. Now, these are old friends. They couldn't do any wrong, of course.

Today, for one to accept the viability of mainstream software, one must be indeed ignorant of technology, or in complete denial. For the techies, it's the latter of course. Niche operating system have their share of problems too. Heck, I don't know for sure that Syllable doesn't phone home to mom once in a while (Just because I haven't checked). OK, I did the cursory check I always do, which is to watch the box's stream from another PC set up with with wireshark. But, that kind of thing is not exhaustive. Nevermind that - it doesn't really matter. The real point is that the code bases of these niche operating systems are manageable (by one person or a small team). So, with or without mom phones (NOT SAYING THERE ARE ANY!) - Syllable is attractive ... as is Haiku, Visopsys, and the like. So, Kaj: don't dispair. Syllable's day is coming. Certainly.
Kaj
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the encouraging words. Smile

Sadly, I have to agree with your other points. Technology, especially software, is in a sad state. And it's not getting any better, because it's the trend that brought it there.

The Syllable framework that we created doesn't phone home, by the way, but we can't be entirely sure about the ported software that we put in. Even being very selective, it's massive.
IsaacBooTt

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: accutane no prescription pharmacy 87 mg Reply with quote

Hello there! [url=http://canadian-trustpharmacy.top/#best-online-pharmacy-technician-school]alprazolam best online pharmacy[/url] good internet site.
IsaacBooTt

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject: reputable best online pharmacy 500 mg Reply with quote

Hi! [url=http://canadian-trustpharmacy.top/#best-online-pharmacy-no-perscription]canadian pharmacy no prescription[/url] very good web site.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Syllable Forum Index -> Off-topic All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: