Syllable Forum Index Syllable
Syllable Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Disk Manager Partition USB

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nos

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:23 am    Post subject: Disk Manager Partition USB Reply with quote

I know there are some know issues with the usb driver but I wanted to do some testing and I might as well log my findings.

Shd= Syllable on hard drive
Scd= Syllable 0.6.7 install cd
Dm= Disk Manager

There appears some issues on releasing the usb Scd can stall at scanning for devices and at do you need to create a partition but you can get past them by unplugging the usb and re-plugging the usb in again.

There appears to be some kind of 4Gb limit for DM for usb as both my 8Gb and 120Gb usb sata drive is reported as being less then 4gb in the top left hand corner.

Hitting the partition button will cause the system to lock on a 1Gb, 8Gb, and the 120Gb drive. However on a 4Gb flash the first hit of the partition button did not cause a lock up or any errors.

[img]http://www.jazzrus.com/pictures/bugs/diskmanager/4gb.jpg[/img]

The errors are the 2nd,3rd and 4th press of the button

1gb and 4gb sticks disk size seems to be reported correctly in both top left, free space and partition size to the right, Above 4gb I get a negative number for free space.

8Gb
[img]http://www.jazzrus.com/pictures/bugs/diskmanager/8gb1.1.jpg[/img]

If I reduce number of sectors on the right for a drive above 4gb in will lock partition size to the disk size shown on top left and you can not increase the sector count.

8Gb flash with the sectors reduce by one became.
[img]http://www.jazzrus.com/pictures/bugs/diskmanager/8gb1.2.jpg[/img]

DM on Shd for the 120Gb dive has the same issue, a negative value for unused space.
[img]http://www.jazzrus.com/pictures/bugs/diskmanager/120gb.png[/img]

I copied the format binary from Scd to Shd and ran the command

format /dev/disk/scsi/hda/0 afs usblabel

The 4Gb,8Gb and 120Gb seem to go into some kind of the endless loop with the format.
The 1Gb stick completed the format command without errors in the terminal in less than 2 seconds. DM still reported the 1Gb having a fat32 partition however gparted on linux reported an unrecognised file system. I copied base-syllable.zip to the 1Gb on unzipping - some files produced an crc error. 2 attempt to copied base-syllable.zip and the zip file could not be unzipped.

I would like to include this discussion with my thread.
http://forum.syllable.org/viewtopic.php?t=1503
Kaj
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of those bugs sound like they're in the USB mass storage driver.

If you have reliability problems, they're usually in the USB 2 device driver. You can usually remedy those by removing the USB 2 driver, so a USB 1 driver takes over.
nos

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was mostly using safe mode option with usb1 in my testing but as you say bugs might not exist in the other. I have got a bit of a workaround going for a usb hard drive. I read usb's are formatted in the same way as hard drives in regard to sectors. So I installed to an old IDE drive I had lying around (< 4Gb partition just for testing ) in my computer and made sure that booted into Syllable 0.6.7. Take the hard drive out and stick it into a usb enclosure and boot usb and you arrive at grub but I am failing to load the afs file system because of this line in grub.

kernel /system/kernel.so root=/dev/disk/ata/hda/0

but I am in the partition at root=(hd,0) I might need to make a smaller partition just for grub and see if I might be able to map the second one with grub to hit the kernel. I think boot cd's have a 1.44 Mb partition to emulate a floppy. Even if syllable is not configure to run off usb I will be happy with my playing if I can get that far. Very Happy

I added the lines to my menu for grub figured it could not hurt.
module /system/drivers/dev/bus/usb
module /system/drivers/dev/bus/scsi
nos

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking at the Syllables cd's again I am few modules short for pulling up a usb device to mount. I should take this to another thread.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Syllable Forum Index -> Bugs All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: