Syllable Forum Index Syllable
Syllable Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

broken afs, how to repair?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kasbah

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: broken afs, how to repair? Reply with quote

Hello Folks,

first: syllable ROCKS! Wink Great work, i love it and if i really get comfortable with it i'll write some native desktop apps. (i hope gtk/qt will NEVER be portet, else i could use linux as well Wink )

Now i have a problem with my root partition. Sad
This is a 3 days old installation of Syllable 0.6.4.
I compiled some stuff and did some load but syllable unfortunately crashed. Well it did not crash really, it just stopped doing anything that needs access to the filesystem on the harddisc. So i neither could open the Terminal nor the kernel log to see what happens. It even did not reboot so i had to turn off the box and turn it on again.

Sadly the afs is now broken. It doesn't boot anymore and i would like to repair the filesystem but i don't know how to do that. I can't find any fsck.

The kernel panics with something like "Attempt to free unused block! 102:0:228:2 Mask=00000004" as it wants to delete files that are marked as open transactions in the filesystem journal (i did delete files when syllable crashed, so i assume that) and can't mount the root.

(If this would help, i could search for my null-modem cable next days and attach the exact debug output.)

I did boot from the live cd and i am not able to mount the partition from here as well. Mount just hangs. I even don't find the Kernel log, there is only desktop, dhcpc and syslog in /var/log of the live cd.

Any hints what to do to repair that?

BTW, I really hope the Syllable User Bible will rapidly go online again! Wink
Mask of Destiny

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is currently no filesystem repair utility for AFS. If there is data you need to recover, AFS Rescue might be able to pull the files off the damaged partition. Current version is available here: http://www.retrodev.com/AFS_Rescue_bin1_2.zip

If you are willing and able to send an image the partition I'd be interested in it to improve AFS Rescue and possibly the AFS driver.
kasbah

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the AFS Rescue Version from the 0.6.4 Live CD reads the Partition without any Problem. It doesn't tell me it's version, if i try to add cli parameters it just throws an os::errno_exception. Anyway, it does the job well. Smile

I'm copying the Partition using dd at this moment and can give it to you if you give me your word to don't use or spread my private data on it. This is the ~/.climm directory and the cookies of ABrowse.

This Image is a 2gig File, i'll compress it using gzip or bzip2 but i don't know the resulting size. Now is the question, what way would you prefer to get this big file? (Unfortunately the harddisc of my server died last week and I still have no replacement, so it will take some time until I have it back online. I have no other webspace or ftp-server where I could upload it.)

My guess, the journal is kinda broken and if I would reset the journal only it would work again. Anyway, when the image is saved i'll reinstall Syllable. Smile
Vanders
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If required, I can provide an FTP account on my local machine which you can use to transfer the image.
Mask of Destiny

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Send me an e-mail at pavone (AT) retrodev (DOT) com and I'll reply with log-in details for a temporary FTP account on my webspace that you can use to upload the file.
kasbah

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dosfat driver seems to be broken too? Or does it not support fat32?

I created a new fat32 partition using windows 2000 Disk Manager and mounted that under syllable live cd to copy the image to this. Worked ok. Rebooted into Windows .. the partition looked empty. Rebooted the Live CD, there it is again? So Syllable does see the files i create on that fat partition mounted using -t fatfs but windows 2000 only sees an empty fat32 partition, not a single file on it?

Another Question, how can i list all active mounts in syllable? (like the plain mount in unix would list all actual mounted devices)
Flemming

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FAT32 works, I use it when moving data to and from Windows.
Can you see the files, if you run a scandisk or whatever it's called today, from Windows?

You can see a list of all mounted partitions in "System Information" (the old SlbMgr).
Kaj
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you can get a list with df, too.
kasbah

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="kasbah"]The dosfat driver seems to be broken too? Or does it not support fat32?[/quote]

Hahaha. This is indeed a windows 2000 bug, not a syllable filesystembug. Funny thing.
I don't restart the windows very often, i do use hibernate pretty most time. When i put it into hibernate, go to syllable and change the data on the fat partition and wake windows up again, it doesn't see any changes until i reboot it without hibernating.
Kaj
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like something you're not supposed to do. If it works that way, data is going to get corrupted on the FAT partition.
kasbah

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, let me think about what i was doing. Hibernating Windows doesn't mean to unmount the filesystems. This is like having syllable and windows mounted that partition at the same time, both writing and reading to it at the same time without the knowledge of the existence of the other reader/writer. Okay, Note to myself: FAT is NOT a network filesystem! Don't do this!

Thanks for the hint, indeed it was a bug in my mind, neither syllable, nor windows. Wink

I should unmount that partition before hibernating ... if this is possible.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Syllable Forum Index -> Syllable Desktop All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: