Syllable Forum Index Syllable
Syllable Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Pidgin saga

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanders
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: The Pidgin saga Reply with quote

The original thread ([url]http://forum.syllable-norden.info/viewtopic.php?t=228&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=pidgin&start=0[/url]) really started as a discussion on something else, so I figured I'll start a new thread for the Pidgin Building Saga.

The latest status is that with 0.6.5, a version of GCC built from the latest Builder and no small number of dependencies to deal with, Pidgin 2.1.1 builds and Finch runs. The NCurses GUI is nearly unusable, but it is clear that the core of Pidgin (libpurple) is working fine.

Using a 0.6.6 development build Pidgin 2.3.1 also builds, but Finch does not quite work. At some point Glib calls pthread_mutex_trylock() with a NULL argument and then abort()s when pthread_mutex_trylock() rightfully returns EINVAL. If I hack in a workaround Finch does actually run, although the real solution will involve finding out why Glib passes NULL in the first place. Again, I believe that libpurple itself is working fine.

At this point an enterprising developer could start to build a native GUI on top of libpurple, and I can even provide a pre-built package to anyone who wants it (although I forgot to build it with OpenSSL support so some protocols like MSN don't quite work. I can always rebuild Pidgin to fix that.)

Any takers?
kasbah

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, that sounds wonderful and interesting! Thanks for the good work! Smile

As i've stated in the previous Thread, i would like to take that, BUT one step after another ... i want to develop goIRC at least as any usable irc client first (this will need some time, i've other things to do these days Sad ). So, if anyone else can take this, maybe i could join you later and help out. This would be great.
cau0730

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we should wait for Andrew's richtext ctrl first Smile then a gui shouldn't be a problem Smile
EdG

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So many interesting apps for Syllable to port. I must admit i'm only just looking at C's standard library (I'd written non OO C++ code which is basicly C code before but with no real knowledge of what libraries and standards are provided elsewhere). I don't have a lot of time to experiment right now but a pidgin port for Syllable would be very welcome indeed. I'm pretty clued up on Java at the moment because i got back into reading books on it and since i'm now doing a module on Advanced Programming Techniques its prompted me to look at C properly and probably C++ since they are similar and i know how OO works in Java having studied it for a year. Hopefully i can find free time to work on some of these things and working with C more (to be honest my knowledge is just about whatever is on cplusplus.com and my own knowledge from other languages) should help me get a better mark in that module.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Syllable Forum Index -> Syllable Desktop All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: