Syllable Forum Index Syllable
Syllable Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

0.6.5: Dock-Preferences crashes login/logout to desktop

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kwench

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:00 am    Post subject: 0.6.5: Dock-Preferences crashes login/logout to desktop Reply with quote

Hi everybody,

I started playing around with Syllable Desktop 0.6.5 some days ago. First of all: Pretty good work how you guys have evolved AtheOS!!!

All of my installations came to a point where login was no longer possible for me. After logging in, the screen was black and the mouse cursor freezes. The system is not responsive after that and needs to be rebooted the hard way (and re-installed; it might be possible to edit some config files, but I haven't yet looked into that).

I tried to find some clues in the logfiles (/var/log/), no apparent errors there. I tried to narrow down the problem by not installing all software, not setting all preferences etc. and it appears that adding things to the dock renders the system unusable. This is reproducible by adding the Mixer application, for example. After that, logout (instead of shutdown/reboot) will already freeze the system and subsequent logins are not possible. (BTW: Is there some kind of console login? And can I run Mixer once in debug mode while logging out?)

The system is a Yakumo laptop with a VIA C3 1 GHz CPU and some VIA chipset (graphics is VIA unichrome). Syllable is running natively (no QEMU etc.). I changed screen resolution, keymap and decorations without any apparent issues there.

I might add that under some rare circumstances the Winter decorator does not show any buttons (resize, close etc.). Clicking in this area results in a unresponsive system, too. I think you are working on this and it is probably not connected to this issue.

Another thing is that Syllable sometimes freezes when updating the application database. This is not really reproducible and probably neither connected to this issue.

Thank again for the great work!

Best regards
Ruwen
Kaj
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

It sounds like this is caused by changing the window decorator to Winter or Blue. Those are broken and make the system unusable, but it takes a short while for the effect to show.

There is no text or safe mode, but you can try kernel boot parameters like on the live CD if you still have problems.
kwench

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:58 am    Post subject: yes, it's winter! Reply with quote

Affirmative, it's obviously the Winter/Blue decorators that screw things up and especially the combination of Winter + Dock + login/logout causes problems.

So, I'll stick to Photon then.

Why can a crashing window manager (or decorator) take the whole system down? Proper memory protection would maybe lead to an unusable system but the mouse etc. should be moving. Or is there some speciality with Syllable?
Kaj
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The decorators run within the AppServer address space, so they can take the AppServer down. In principle, the rest of the system should keep running, but that's not much use in this case on a graphical system.
Vanders
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: yes, it's winter! Reply with quote

[quote="kwench"]
Why can a crashing window manager (or decorator) take the whole system down? Proper memory protection would maybe lead to an unusable system but the mouse etc. should be moving. Or is there some speciality with Syllable?[/quote]

Syllable does not have any concept of a "Window manager" as a seperate process. Windows are managed by the appserver, and window decorators are basically plugin libraries for the appserver that draw the windows, which means it runs in the appserver address space. If the decorator crashes it takes down the appserver, which is pretty much game-over: although other processes are running, you can't do much with Syllable without the appserver.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Syllable Forum Index -> Bugs - Fixed All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: