Syllable Forum Index Syllable
Syllable Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help a newbie with some fundamentals

View previous topic :: View next topic  
paulfxh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:54 am    Post subject: Help a newbie with some fundamentals Reply with quote

OK, I'm trying to follow the suggestion of Flemming when he suggested in this [url=http://forum.syllable.org/viewtopic.php?t=1229] thread[/url] a possible means to install Syllable on a Asus EeePC 901.

Please understand that my experience with Syllable is very limited although I've been using Linux and OS X for the last three years..
First problem is when I tried to unzip the Syllable .iso.7z file I downloaded within Syllable on my Dell desktop.
Here's what I got in the terminal:
[quote][[email protected]:~/Desktop]7z x SyllableDesktop-0.6.6-20081204.i586.iso.7z

7-Zip 4.58 beta Copyright (c) 1999-2008 Igor Pavlov 2008-05-05
p7zip Version 4.58 (locale=C,Utf16=off,HugeFiles=on,1 CPU)

Processing archive: SyllableDesktop-0.6.6-20081204.i586.iso.7z

Error: Can not open file as archive[/quote]
What do I need to do to get P7zip to work in Syllable?

Second problem relates to the fact that I will need to import the image of my "Syllable" partition from my EeePC to Syllable on the Dell.
But I can't seem to get sshd to work.
When I type this in a terminal
[code:1]/usr/openssh/sbin/sshd[/code:1]
I get 10-12 lines of gibberish and nothing more.

Finally, could somebody please help me understand how software packages are installed in Syllable. Is there a package manager and repositories?

On a positive note, this is my first post sent from Syllable Very Happy
Kaj
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 7-Zip error is odd. It looks like the file is corrupt. Can you please check the MD5 checksum?

The OpenSSH server doesn't work on Syllable Desktop yet, just the client.

Our philosophy is to do minimal package management. For native Syllable applications there is no package management necessary at all, beyond unzipping a package. For resource packages, which are usually ported software, there is a minimal command line package manager called Packager, which registers a package in the system by creating symlinks.

Have you read the introduction texts on top of our package download pages? They describe how to install the various package types.
paulfxh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Kaj"]The 7-Zip error is odd. It looks like the file is corrupt. Can you please check the MD5 checksum?[/quote]
Thanks for the reply.
Actually the md5sum command doesn't work at all with that file (SyllableDesktop-0.6.6-20081204.i586.iso.7z) within Syllable 0.6.6 even though it works fine on all other files I tried (including some large ones, so it's not a large file problem).
Also I downloaded the same file in the Syllable 0.6.5 that I also have installed on my Desktop computer and that had no problem with the md5sum command and gave the correct md5.
So, at first glance, it seems something is broken in the 0.6.6 OS that makes it behave strangely with that file.

[quote="Kaj"]The OpenSSH server doesn't work on Syllable Desktop yet, just the client.[/quote]
That means that I still should be able to send stuff from another computer (ssh server) to Syllable on my Desktop. However, I cannot.
But, I don't understand how Syllable 0.6.6 can behave as a ssh client when sshd isn't running. As I mentioned in my previous post, when I type
[code:1]/usr/openssh/sbin/sshd[/code:1]
a number of lines of mostly nonsense appears but the words aborting and failure are prominent among those that do make sense.
So, that doesn't sound good.
Is there anything special I need to do to be able to ssh (or actually scp) something to Syllable?

[quote="Kaj"]Our philosophy is to do minimal package management. For native Syllable applications there is no package management necessary at all, beyond unzipping a package. For resource packages, which are usually ported software, there is a minimal command line package manager called Packager, which registers a package in the system by creating symlinks.

Have you read the introduction texts on top of our package download pages? They describe how to install the various package types.[/quote]
Yes, I've read a lot of that stuff now and it's becoming clearer. Confused
Kaj
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, sounds like your AFS filesystem is corrupt. Does anything show up at the end of /var/log/kernel when you handle that 7z file?

The SSH client (ssh) doesn't need a running server on the same machine.
Kaj
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 7-Zip problem is fixed in Syllable 0.6.6.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Syllable Forum Index -> Bugs - Fixed All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: