Syllable Forum Index Syllable
Syllable Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

0.6.6: SettingsEditor bugs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morph
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used the settings editor before, mainly for viewing rather than editing, I admit, but nevertheless I don't remember any serious problems with it. IIRC you can only modify the values of simple datatypes - string, int, float etc; editing some of the complex datatypes like Point or Color32 isn't implemented. But it shouldn't be hard to implement those if you need them.

Would you mind reporting the bugs that you encountered?
jaspras

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1, Open App Click "New" add an entry and Click "Save" There should be a "File Save" dialog, but nothing happens

2. 1, Open App Click "New" add an entry and Click "Save" There should be a "File Save AS" dialog but nothing happens

3. Open App, Add a New entry String double click to edit it, add index, Save , Re-open the parent Node, click Save, you will get 2 NEW child nodes in the root node.

4. Open App, Add a New entry String double click to edit it, add index, Save , Double the Child Node, Edit the Value of it, click Save, you will get 2 NEW child nodes in the root node.

5.Insert a New "Variant Item" Double click it Try to change Value, you cannot.

6.Insert a New "Variant Item" Double Click it, Add index to it, Save, Select the Variant Item Goto Edit->Delete, The Program Freezes.

7. Upon Exit no Message to save the Newly created Settings.
Kaj
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I split this thread off into the Bugs section, otherwise we can't trace it.
Morph
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, good points, thanks. I guess it's more of a 'Settings viewer' than an editor at the moment, then.

Regarding 2, 'Save as' is implemented, but produces
SettingsEditor::MainWin: Error: Looper::_Loop uncaught exception in Looper::DispatchMessage
in the kernel log.

Regarding 1, it would be very easy to make 'Save' behave as 'Save as' if the file hasn't yet been saved.

3, 4 and 6 are very valid points.

5: modifying variants is probably unimplemented, as is modifying Points, etc. Implementing these should be perfectly straightforward but boring.

7 shouldn't be too hard to implement, could yank some code from another app.
jaspras

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Morph Have you done any work on Settings Editor?

i have fixed bugs 1,2,4 and 7 should i continue to work on the rest of them ?

3,4 and 6 will take me a day or so to fix ...
Morph
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's fantastic that you fixed some of those problems! I haven't done any work on it yet (I was meaning to but didn't get to it yet). When you're happy with your changes, send me (anthony at syllable.org) a patch of your fixes and I'll get them checked in to CVS so they'll be in future builds.
jaspras

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright man i will try the rest of them too... , if can't deal with all them i will send you what i have done.
Morph
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you track down the problem for 3 and 4?
jaspras

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 and 4 are actually bugs for just the code for adding items in the TreeView, what happens is no matter if the user Adds an item or Edits an item the program keeps adding them in the tree view, inside the Settings class everything is fine!, prove of that is that if you save the file, and reopen it the data inside is OK! no extra items are inserted!!
Morph
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, ok, so it's a [url=http://development.syllable.org/documentation/API/LibSyllable/classos_1_1ListView.html]ListView[/url] problem ([url=http://development.syllable.org/documentation/API/LibSyllable/classos_1_1TreeView.html]TreeView[/url] inherits from ListView). ListView is known to have problems like that...
Here's a word of advice from Vanders in the AltMe world regarding ListViews:[quote]One tip: you can make the ListView redrawing much better if you call ListView::Hide(), *then* populate it, then call ListView::Show() again once you've finished populating. It's also much faster because it wont cause it to redraw for every Insert()[/quote]So, you could try wrapping the calls to ListView::Insert() or whatever by Hide() and Show(), that might help.
jaspras

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Morph"]Oh, ok, so it's a [url=http://development.syllable.org/documentation/API/LibSyllable/classos_1_1ListView.html]ListView[/url] problem ([url=http://development.syllable.org/documentation/API/LibSyllable/classos_1_1TreeView.html]TreeView[/url] inherits from ListView). ListView is known to have problems like that...
Here's a word of advice from Vanders in the AltMe world regarding ListViews:[quote]One tip: you can make the ListView redrawing much better if you call ListView::Hide(), *then* populate it, then call ListView::Show() again once you've finished populating. It's also much faster because it wont cause it to redraw for every Insert()[/quote]So, you could try wrapping the calls to ListView::Insert() or whatever by Hide() and Show(), that might help.[/quote]

OK so i "fixed" 3,4 and 6. What i did since the problem appears to be in ListView class and i did not want to go in there,what i did was that i removed the code that shows the child items in the TreeView. It shows you if you have children in the item and how many as it did before.. i.e
string[4]

and if you double click it it will show you the items.

since that was done no freezing occurs.

all save, save as, open, new check to see if the Settings have been modified and acts as it should.

i have sent you an email hope you like it...
Morph
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs 1,2,3,4,7 are (I think) fixed now in CVS thanks to jaspras's patch. Other problems remain though; in particular recursive editing of child messages doesn't work (you can view but can't save changes to child messages).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Syllable Forum Index -> Bugs All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: