Syllable Forum Index Syllable
Syllable Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Clipper removal Invalid Page Fault
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aritc02

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it does cover the same issues. He did the same thing I did. He just terminated the looper in the same spots I did. So they are basically the same fixes.
chamel

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is no Dock/plugin bug that generates crash of Dock on removal of plugins, it is a memory management bug in kernel. I have found this post http://forum.syllable.org/viewtopic.php?t=1409 , it can be as reference were bug was born.
Morph
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you think those crashes are related? And why do you think it is a kernel bug?
chamel

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About their relation - its a guess, they both fail during creation/modification of Msg, I'm quite sure that about it in Dock. To find where Dock stopped working I was using simple dbprintf after every line in DeletePlugin, at first program was crashing at comparing (I have written it before), then it stopped crashing there (I don't know why) and continued to execute till plugin->Delete() function where it crashes every time now, but not in predictible manner. That function in most cases calls only RemoveView function which creates and post a Message. Error message in console says "invalid pagefault" which in most cases means we are using something that doesn't exist. I guess when Message is created it is not allocated at all or invaild pointer is passed and when next function is filling up Msg it fails because of this. That is why I think it is memory allocation in kernel that creates this crush. To be sure of this I will add to RemoveView some dbprinfs to locate crashing point.
Morph
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another possibility is that it's a synchronisation problem - something is being deleted by one thread, then another thread is accessing the deleted object (and causing the pagefault). The fact that the crash doesn't always occur at exactly the same place also points to this. Thanks for investigating; I'm looking forward to seeing what you find out.
chamel

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have added to RemoveView dbprintf's, crash happens before entering this function not inside of it, in Delete call of plugin, when RemoveView is called. My kernel log http://www.mediafire.com/file/mqymni0vmnz/kernel.zip , you will see that before crash there is a message like "batter 1" (battery plugin), "camer 1" (for camera) it is just before RemoveView... messages "miro n1-n6" are inside RemoveView, message "batter 2" is set inside Delete function after RemoveView. I'm still thinking what can generate it.

P.S. in kernel log only 4 or 5 last crashes are related to my newest debug build of dock plugins.
chamel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After some thinking I decided to patch kernel in order to trace memory activity for specified application - dock and plugins, I compiled kernel and installed it for start and got first unpleaseant surprise some genius changed location for binaries from "/system/bin" to "/system/programs" which makes kernel patching very complicated, I need to recompile whole system as there are dependencies which must be resolved in order to make kernel patching possible. I dont' have time for such things, as such practice of paths changing is quite common in Syllable development, instead of dedicating time to make system better, discourages me to spent my time for development in this os. Bye.
Kaj
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That change is documented in the change logs. There are many more.

I am sorry if you don't want to deal with changes in an alpha development project, but development is synonymous with change. If you want to work on a more stable platform, you should not work on our development builds but on the Syllable 0.6.6 release.

If that one /system/programs/ change is bothering you, you can also simply make a symlink to it from /system/bin/.
Morph
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've checked Adam's patches in to CVS. Hopefully this particular crash is fixed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Syllable Forum Index -> Bugs - Fixed All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: