Syllable Forum Index Syllable
Syllable Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Syllable Development
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rohan

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 9:42 am    Post subject: Syllable Development Reply with quote

In the past there was every week a new "Development Build" of Syllable. Now the latest Development Build is about 70 Weeks old.
Does that mean, that the changes (code commitment) to syllable are now very good so that it's not needed to test the changes anymore?
Kaj
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There has never been a development build every week. This is the same kind of misinformation you were spreading three years ago, before your violent disappearance from the project. I'm not interested in continuing those tired old practices.
Rohan

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Kaj"]There has never been a development build every week. [/quote]

Yes, it could be that I remember wrong since some years have past since, but I think there was a period when development builds came every week (and in cases of exceptions it could take two weeks i think).
But of course, that was back in the time when syllable was not as stable as today.
Rohan

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Kaj"]violent disappearance from the project.[/quote]

I think I contributed to the success of syllable too with my russian websites. Because of my job I could not continue maintaining them. Now I even moved to germany because of my job, and of course now i have even less time. But i never disappeared.
Just because I (or you) dont remember perfectly if the development builds have been every week or every second week , you start to accuse me of spreading misinformation. That's not fair.
(But I still think it was about every week in most cases, and you must take in account that a lot of years have passed since then).
Kaj
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have been away for two and a half years and you start telling me already that you know better than me, and you just continue with all the nonsensical discussions there were at the time, bringing up the same subjects and receiving the same answers that you already knew.

The last thing we heard from you is that you tried to impersonate me on this forum, spouting misspelled swear words. Then you took down your Syllable websites and disappeared.

I'm giving you another chance to behave yourself. If you can't do that, you're not welcome here.
Rohan

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

back to the subject.

Aren't development builds needed anymore (since the most new one is about 1.5 years old) ? I'm just technically interested how you test the features you are implementing into the syllable.

In the meantime I learnt c++ too, and I can imagine that in future I could write patches too. Who is responsible for proof-reading and commiting the patches?
Morph
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patches are very welcome! If you have patches, I can check them and commit them once they're ready. Just upload your patch file to pastebin or somewhere and post a link. If you have any questions about it, feel free to ask!
Kaj
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There has been relatively little development on the core system since the last development release, so there has been no pressing reason until now to build a new one. We're also pressed for resources, so we're following other priorities, which means that development has shifted for now to programs on top of the base system.
Rohan

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Kaj"]we're following other priorities, which means that development has shifted for now to programs on top of the base system.[/quote]

What exactly are you (the core developers) working on, what projects? Perhaps there is a project that fits me and I can take part.

As I understood, you Kaj are working on integrating Rebol. What are the current tasks/problems that you do, and how could i help you with the integration of Rebol into syllable?
And on what other projects are the other core-developers working on?
NecroRomancist

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]
And on what other projects are the other core-developers working on?
[/quote]

This would be a good idea to make a separate topic.
Like i said on another threads i am focusing on processing the output of cppcheck (http://cppcheck.sf.net ).
That includes:

-fixing memleaks
-out of bounds acess code.
- suspicious string code
- having char str1[10]={"hello"} is not the same as having char str2[5]={"hello"}. In this second case there is no space for '\0'.

"

[url]http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/ntcs/[/url]

Double quoted strings (") are literal constants whose type is in fact a null-terminated array of characters. So string literals enclosed between double quotes always have a null character ('\0') automatically appended at the end.
"

Next i've done some work on making LibSyllable more header friendly with Haiku.
- That means Rect and PopUpMenu for now
Kaj
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's best for contributors to work on things that the core developers are not working on. This has often been a problem in the past. If people want to work on things that others are already working on, arguments ensue. Big discussions become necessary, so in effect, less work is done instead of more, because the core developers are disrupted.

Bogomips is currently proving how much one person can do in a very short time, when working independently on things that the core developers don't have time for.

Most of the things we're currently working on haven't been announced yet outside the AltME communication system. Most of them are also in a stage where they're working on Syllable Server, but not on Syllable Desktop yet. One even only works on Windows currently, but we're expecting to get it working on Linux in a few days, after which we can continue to port it to Desktop. These days I use Syllable Server to develop most things for Desktop ahead of time. This is also how most of the changes after the last development build of Desktop were tested: they are already released in Syllable Server 0.4, so we have a good level of guarantee that they will also work in Desktop.

Two people are working on a theming engine for Desktop. Someone is overhauling the network stack for IPv6. Enhancements to SDL are being done.

We finally have a modern, distributed version control system that we can have confidence in. This already works on Desktop, and we will slowly be switching to it. Most of my REBOL related work is announced. The Boron successor to ORCA is already in the Desktop development build. REBOL 3 and my CMS run on Desktop. I've written several bindings for REBOL 3, one of which already works on Desktop. But there is also a new REBOL like language that we are currently porting.

For the details you need to read our publications. Our news articles, the development site, the change logs, this forum and AltME.
Rohan

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Kaj"]It's best for contributors to work on things that the core developers are not working on. [/quote]

1)
I dont intend to take your work, i just want to learn from your source code and to look at your recent work and to learn from it and perhaps i find bugs or more elegant solutions and I can make you suggestions. Since I'm also a little interested in rebol/boron i would like to see your last code commitments to syllable. Can you tell me where to look with cvs browser?
Are you already implementing the GUI bindings?

[quote="Kaj"]
For the details you need to read our publications. Our news articles, the development site, the change logs, this forum and AltME.[/quote]

2)
Yes I read that, but most of them are at the level of "story", i want to see concret source code.

I'm also interested in the theming engine, where is source code located, how can i find the most recent commitments?
I tried to find them manually, but i the moment i found mostly just many years old fiels. Where are the recent ones? (especially the ones related to rebol/boron and theming engine)
Rohan

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="NecroRomancist"]cppcheck (http://cppcheck.sf.net ).
[/quote]

Thank you, I didnt know about the existence of cppcheck. The first time you wrote cppcheck i was thinking that you are manually checking the source files of syllable.

[quote="NecroRomancist"]
Next i've done some work on making LibSyllable more header friendly with Haiku.
- That means Rect and PopUpMenu for now[/quote]

That sounds a little weird to me. Why do you want LibSyllable to be header friendly with Haiku? Isn't that a lot of work? Is it worth? Why does Syllable care about Haiku?
Rohan

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="NecroRomancist"]
Next i've done some work on making LibSyllable more header friendly with Haiku.[/quote]

Now that it seems that you are in touch with haiku. I have a question.
On haiku-files.org I noticed that in average they upload 16 Development Builds every day. How do they manage to do that? I mean, the newest Development Build of Syllable is about 17 month old, and they upload in average 16 Development Builds. If you calculate that means that they uploaded in the last 17 month more than 8000 Development Builds, while Syllable just a single one.
Kaj
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The port of REBOL 3 is here in Builder:

http://syllable.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/syllable/syllable/system/apps/utils/Builder/packages/REBOL-Core--current/
http://syllable.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/syllable/syllable/system/apps/utils/Builder/packages/Syllable/REBOL-Core--current/

As you can see, it builds on the recipe for the REBOL 3 Host Kit. This is also done by my cURL binding for REBOL 3, which includes the source code in the Builder tree:

http://syllable.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/syllable/syllable/system/apps/utils/Builder/packages/cURL-Binding--current/

As its author announced on our ReBorCon, the new REBOL like language is called Red:

http://syllable.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/syllable/syllable/system/apps/utils/Builder/packages/Red--current/

The compiler is currently written in REBOL 2, so you can use it on Syllable Server, but not on Desktop. You can compile programs for Linux and Windows, but currently the Linux versions can't load dynamic libraries, so the usefulness is limited. However, you can cross-compile programs for Windows on Linux. To use Syllable Server for this, you need our new graphical version of Syllable Server.

I have made a new website for my REBOL and Red work:

http://rebol.esperconsultancy.nl

At some point it will be possible to write REBOL 3 extensions in Red, so going forward, Red is the best target for writing bindings. Another track would be to write further bindings for REBOL 3, in particular to port its new GUI to Syllable. I haven't started on that yet.

The theming engine is a native Desktop project in C++ that's currently private with the people doing it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Syllable Forum Index -> Syllable Desktop All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: