Syllable Forum Index Syllable
Syllable Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[suggestion] GUI upgrade ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
doneill

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, I remember in KDE 2.x you could effectively design your own window bar layout independent of how it looked. This is still a huge undertaking...
Morph
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]I really prefer the close button being on the left, far away from the other window control buttons. [/quote]
This is already possible - decorators can put the window buttons wherever they like, so someone could easily write or modify a decorator to have eg. the close button on the left.
Rohan

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jaspras.
As I understood you are member of the core-developer team of syllable working on a theming engine.
It seems you started that work back in 2009, can you tell us, if you are still working on it? And why was your work not integrated yet into syllable?
Morph
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rohan (and anyone else interested in theming!),

Jaspras (John) and I have both been working on a theming engine. Most of my work has been on getting the API right, and John has been working on some new themes. There's still work to be done, mostly adapting libsyllable components to the theme system, updating John's themes to the new API, and updating the settings app. I have been busy with work for the last 4 months but I will have more time shortly and I'll do some more work on it then. A description of the API and a code snapshot from December 2010 is available in AltMe (I've done a bit more work since the December snapshot but haven't published it yet). I can upload it somewhere else if you don't want to use Altme. It hasn't been committed to CVS yet because it is still incomplete and under development.

I hope this answers your questions. (Sorry for answering for you, John!)
jaspras

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the only correction that should be made is that i am not part of the core-developer team, i prefer to give Morth the "responsibility" for the Theme API since he's a better coder than me, i am still working on themes though if that is what Rohan is asking, although do not espect any great looking ones until a graphics engine comes into play, "agg" or "skia" or any of that sort...
jaspras

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i also forgot to mention that themes will not change the desktop's "look or feel" nor the behavior of windows, themes will simply draw views and widgets differenlty.
Rohan

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="jaspras"]"agg" or "skia" or any of that sort...[/quote]

I remember many years ago there was discussion what backend should be used. The discussion was Agg vs Cairo. And kaj was the driving force behind Agg. I think I remember that he had plans to integrate Agg into syllable and using it as the drawing back-end. I think that was somewhere back in 2007 or 2008. I think he wanted Agg because it is/was related to rebol. (I think, but i dont know, rebol uses/used it too as drawing backend).
(I remember jonas was porting Agg to syllable and making an application of top of it, but he still prefered cairo as the drawing backend)

So, we must just wait for kaj to finish that agg related stuff, and we have a theming engine? That's great!
What progress did syllable related to the ingegration of agg into syllable since the decision was taken (in 2008 i think) ?
Rohan

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Morph"]A description of the API and a code snapshot from December 2010 is available in AltMe [/quote]

Hi Morph.
That looks a little bit too unprofessional. If the theming engine is not integrated in syllable, then i think at least, it should have a separate repository (git, or something like that), that it's easiet that more people are up to date with last development.
jaspras

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rohan the API is in a very early PLANNING phase, that means that it can even be totally discarded, it will be published when its worth to be published, you can get it and make suggestions , and even code a little if you wish
Rohan

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="jaspras"]Rohan the API is in a very early PLANNING phase[/quote]

Still in planning phase? But it's already about 2 years old. And the Agg discussion/decision is even a lot older.
jaspras

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

....and even code a little if you wish
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Syllable Forum Index -> Syllable Desktop All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: