Syllable Forum Index Syllable
Syllable Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[Server 0.4] Bugs ...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bogomips

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:46 am    Post subject: [Server 0.4] Bugs ... Reply with quote

Hello,

Last night I wanted to compile some simple softwares (SDL) in Syllable Server 0.4 but I had a lot of error messages on some particular headers. Is this normal?

I installed all the required packages.

I also noticed that softwares (compiled on another Linux) work on Syllable Server but the brightness of the display is random.
Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's very dark with a problem with the color palette.

Regards.
Kaj
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, the published Syllable Server toolchain is outdated. I use several updated packages for Syllable Server 0.4, but didn't get around to publishing all of them, and not many people inquired about it so far.

The main thing is that GCC was actually downgraded in 0.4 to stay in step with Syllable Desktop. After installing the Developer's Delight pack, you need to replace GCC with this version:

http://web.syllable.org/Linux/resources.html#gcc

There are some other packages on that page that you may need to compile certain software. It's especially useful to install the newer Builder package.

There are many more updates in Builder, so you can have it build more updated packages. I'm planning to update the published packs, but it will still take a while.

On many of our machines, Server 0.4 won't run DirectFB and SDL from the console, so I can't currently test the graphics abilities very well. I've never seen unstable brightness in the console, but I've seen it on Ubuntu, so it could have something to do with the hardware's ability to change brightness. Is it a laptop?
Bogomips

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thank you

In fact, I try to compile Xynth on Syllable Server by using SDL or FBdev. I already tried successfully under Slackware.
This window manager could be interresting to avoid the heavy Xorg. Smile
Bogomips

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention that I use a desktop computer, Pentium IV with a Geforce 4 MX. For the problem of color, I think it comes from the number of colors "16/32Bits".
Kaj
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you see the Xynth recipe in Builder? I ported it to Server about four years ago. It worked, but it's fairly primitive.

I haven't seen your brightness problems before on a desktop computer. However, Server 0.4 seems to have problems with console graphics on Nvidia video chips. Also, if you compile the software on a different Linux system, all bets are off. It could work, or not at all, or it can have weird problems like you're experiencing. Some Linux parts pay attention to binary compatibility, but many Linux developers and projects don't.
Bogomips

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For GCC, it's Ok. I managed to compile with the version I downloaded in your link above. I compiled Milkytracker, Grafx2 and other programs. Everything works. Smile

For brightness, I changed the color depth (16 -> 32 bits) and now the display is good.For the problem of color,I will try on another computer with a completely different configuration to see.

For Xynth, I already downloaded the recipe. It is a bit basic, but the author added ports like GTK2, Mplayer or Kaffe. But with Server 0.4, I have a problem with libxynth. Sad

The problem with Xynth, if we use SDL as driver, we can't run SDL software inside, because SDL is busy. So,we must use the port of SDL with libxynth provided by the author. Confused

I think it would be better to compile GTK2 with DirectFB.
Kaj
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations. Smile

This week I wrote and upgraded Builder recipes for the entire GTK stack. I haven't tried them on barebones Syllable Server yet, but you should be able to use them to compile GTK 2 there.
Kaj
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my machine to work with DirectFB again, but by avoiding 32 bits colour. :-/

I compiled the entire GTK 2 stack on Server on DirectFB and got the GTK demo to work.

If you run Xynth on Server, you should compile it on the Linux frame buffer, and I suppose SDL will then run on top of Xynth.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Syllable Forum Index -> Bugs All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: