Syllable Forum Index Syllable
Syllable Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Syllable Server runs on x86_64

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wilsonk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:21 am    Post subject: Syllable Server runs on x86_64 Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I am running Syllable Server on my Ferrari 3200 laptop with an Athlon 64 2800+. Here are the specs:

http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/acer-ferrari-3200/4505-3121_7-30882006.html

The touchpad seems to be recognized, and the USB devices work fine. The only thing that doesn't seem to work is that Tigon3 NIC card. This wasn't working quite properly on Desktop either. I get an error about "bcm43xxx_microcode5.fw" file not found---if I try to do '/etc/rc.d/init.d/network restart'. Don't know why yet. The tg3 driver has a single line entry in dmesg, but that is all (no error messages or success messages....but if I try to 'insmod' it the kernel says it is already installed). I'll look into it.

I reported that this machine may have had a faulty drive because of all the errors I was getting when using the USB stick with Desktop. It appears this was bad info. Fedora Linux has been re-installed without problems, and runs for long periods with installs of gigabytes to that drive! (Fedora was crashing before but I actually believe that the afs driver may have corrupted a partition other than itself?!?!? Weird).

Thanks,
K.Wilson
Kaj
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks for the report! It should run - in 32-bits mode, of course - but it's nice to know for sure.

The error seems to indicate that the Tigon network adapter needs firmware loaded into it that's not there. That's strange, because I thought the driver was just open source and shipped with the kernel. If any one has information about this, that would be useful.

USB in Desktop is indeed buggy, and in 0.6.4 it seems to have worsened due to timing differences. There are fixes in the weekly build that will be in 0.6.5.
wilsonk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys,

The bcmxx driver is apparently for wireless and the firmware wasn't loading when the default of setting bcmxx to 'eth0' and the tg3 driver to 'eth1' was used. I modified /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules to set the tg3 driver to 'eth0' and commented out the bcmxx driver, then rebooted. This automatically changed tg3 the eth0 and the bcmxx driver to eth1.....now things work for the tg3 driver woohoo.

There is a slight problem with my monitor width, but I will test some more. Seems to be a radeon 9500 mobility thing.

Thanks,
K.Wilson
Kaj
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, thanks for that information. Maybe it's a symptom of the new wireless stack in the Linux kernel.

Wireless utilities are on the list for the second release.
Kaj
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, when you do get to configuring your wireless, Broadcom will make you jump through hoops to load their firmware:

[url]http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#devicefirmware[/url]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Syllable Forum Index -> Syllable Server All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: