Syllable Forum Index Syllable
Syllable Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Formula 1
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NecroRomancist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Formula 1 Reply with quote

Any Formula 1 fans here on the forum?
Vanders
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. Although I missed both the French (didn't mind too much, can't stand Magny Cour. What a shame it'll be back next year) and most of the British Grand Prix (I was on holiday).
NecroRomancist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Magny Cour Smile I tend to not like most of the more recent circuits like China. I also have a "special" hate for Imola for what happened in 30 April 1994 and 1 May 1994 Neutral
I have to view the F1 transmission via web,in Portugal you have to pay 22 Ç (besides what u pay for the base package) per month to have access to a sport channel that transmits the races, and being an university student that's just too much money per month Smile I use a little program for p2p tv called sopcast which unfortunately is closed source and their linux bin, a simple daemon, doesn't work on Syllable ).
I don't know if u know but on google videos there are a lot of videos of races from the late 80's early 90's.
So what is u'r bet for world champion?
Vanders
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="NecroRomancist"]I like Magny Cour :) I tend to not like most of the more recent circuits like China. I also have a "special" hate for Imola for what happened in 30 April 1994 and 1 May 1994 :|[/quote]

Heh. I have a soft-spot for Spa and both German circuits, and Monaco of course. The newer circuits are a bit sterile though, yeah. I can't wait to see what Valencia & Singapore are like!

[quote]I have to view the F1 transmission via web,in Portugal you have to pay 22 Ç (besides what u pay for the base package) per month to have access to a sport channel that transmits the races[/quote]

Ouch. It's on ITV here (An commercial free-to-air channel) and next season it's moving back to the BBC, so we'll get uninterrupted race coverage, yay!

[quote]So what is u'r bet for world champion?[/quote]

Right now, I wouldn't want to try and call it. Raikkonen again maybe, but I wouldn't mind seeing Kubica have a good go at it. Despite all the noise I don't think Hamilton has the maturity to do it just yet, although he is an amazing driver.

My biggest surprise so far is how well BMW have done, given that they've only been racing as a factory team for a few years. Just goes to show who was the real talent behind Williams, too. If he doesn't do it this season, Kubica in a BMW could be a very strong contender for 2009.
NecroRomancist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spa is my favourite circuit of them all, even more so than Monaco.
With sopcast i can watch races no problem with my internet connection,i only wish it was opensource so i could port it to Syllable.

Ayrton Senna francorchamps 1991 pole MC Laren MP4/6

[url]http://youtube.com/watch?v=qlPrxGaYtQ0&feature=related[/url]

Ayrton Senna - Monaco 1991 - Flying Lap

[url]http://youtube.com/watch?v=xgktruZUDgs[/url]

I miss this man Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

In terms of world championship i'd bet on Hamilton or Raikkonnen but Kubica has been a really nice surprise.
Vanders
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Senna was certainly an amazing driver, but we've seen some great drivers with real natural talent in both Michael Schumacher and now Hamilton. Kubica also has that spark of natural talent, I just think he's been much quieter about it than Hamilton.

It's a shame that people forgot Roland Ratzenburger, who died the same weekend at San Marino of course.

I'm surprised that no one else has popped up. We can't be the only two F1 fans in Syllable can we?!
Kaj
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a much earlier life... Smile I vaguely remember names such as Graham Hill.
NecroRomancist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was 10 when Senna died,he was and well still is my idol, and lots of people feel the same, any death is sad but a death of your idol leaves a more lasting mark.
But i agree that it is sad how people have forgotten Roland..i'm not even sure if people who are not fans of F1 know he died that weekend Neutral
Concerning best drivers i tend to divide them in two groups - car drivers and race drivers.
For me the best car drivers were - Senna, Fangio, Jim Clark , Nuvolari, Gilles, Mansell (i'd probably include some others but i haven't had the chance to see them "work"). I include Mansell because his spirit was something out of this world, he just didn't give up.
Race drivers - Prost, Schumacher, Alonso.
My opinion is that in the future Kubica will be more sucessful than Hamilton, despite the great performance by Hamilton this weekend, and last year..
Do you think Murray Walker will come to BBC next year? "And its go go go" Very Happy
Vanders
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="NecroRomancist"]Concerning best drivers i tend to divide them in two groups - car drivers and race drivers.
For me the best car drivers were - Senna, Fangio, Jim Clark , Nuvolari, Gilles, Mansell (i'd probably include some others but i haven't had the chance to see them "work"). I include Mansell because his spirit was something out of this world, he just didn't give up.
Race drivers - Prost, Schumacher, Alonso.[/quote]

Not a bad list at all. I'd totally forgotten about Mansell and Prost! I never really watched them drive, as I didn't get into F1 until later in life, so I missed the entire 80's legends and most of the 90's!

[quote]My opinion is that in the future Kubica will be more sucessful than Hamilton[/quote]

I think he has more longevity in him, and is a much more careful driver. Hamilton seems to lose it under pressure, which isn't much use. However, right now Hamilton looks like an absolute genius on the tarmac: just look at his lap times and compare them to others in his class, and you'll see what I mean. If he could smooth the rough edges I think we could see some amazing racing between him and Kubica in the next few seasons!

[quote]Do you think Murray Walker will come to BBC next year? "And its go go go" :D[/quote]

I wish. Sadly he's already said he's too old and not interested in travelling the world for 9 months of the year at his age. He did do a special commentary for Radio 5 here in the UK er, last season I think.

[quote="Kaj"]In a much earlier life... Smile I vaguely remember names such as Graham Hill.[/quote]

Sounds like you lost interest when they dropped Zandvoort from the race calender ;)
Kaj
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did they? Smile I do think we don't hear that much about F1 here anymore in recent years.
NecroRomancist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So who do you think will this weekend at Germany? I have a feeling Kubica will do really well
Vanders
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be anyones at this point. Hamilton has caught the bug and got some of his confidence back, so I guess he'll pull out all the stops and the circuit suits his style, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him on pole. Raikkonen has always done well there too. Kubica is a bit of an unknown for me, but I'd be surprised if he didn't do well.

It's nice to have a decent championship competition for a change!

As an aside, I don't think Hockenheim is as good as it used to be with the old long amble through the forest.
NecroRomancist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too. Although its way safer now, Hockenheim did lose a bit of the magic it had, i can't imagine what they must have felt going through that full speed and then doing the following corner in 1st gear..it must have been out of this world and a bit hard on the pilot
Vanders
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And wouldn't you know it, Hamilton is 0.7s faster than Raikkanen in practice today, and Kubica was 8th.

Posting this from WebView by the way!
NecroRomancist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Vanders"]
Posting this from WebView by the way![/quote]

yay Smile
Like i said before i have to watch via web. I found a swf like broadcast and that allowed me to see the qualifying..(this on Linux)..have to try and see if gnash under Syllable can do the same Smile
Syllable has to allow me to see F1 Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Syllable Forum Index -> Off-topic All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: