Syllable Forum Index Syllable
Syllable Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Project of the Month?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NecroRomancist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Project of the Month? Reply with quote

Jonas was exactly is missing from your point of view to make eFileBrowser ready for inclusion?
What do you people think of doing something like Syllable - Month Project? People could propose a number of applications to be developed / ported and if selected a group could work on that project for a month. I'm proposing this,because i think it would be a good way of sharing efforts. I for one i'm not that good at doing GUI's,if someone were to design a gui for a given application i wouldn't mind working on the backend code.
So if someone could work on a gui like https://www.khleuven.be/wiki/download/attachments/21495816/gftp.png
i could work on a curl backend Smile
Just an idea what do you think?
cipri

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, if I look at that picture, I find a few examples why I would not like to copy that GUI. It would not be that complicated, but in the end it would contain several bugs, because of the syllable API.

nr 1 ) listview has a few bugs

nr 2 ) I think treeview has also a major bug, it is similar to a bug o listview

nr 3 ) Some controls of the syllable API have problems with the alignment, they don't align like they should. ( I forgot exact what control it was, but I think I can remember that Rick also mentionated that problem sometime )

nr 4 ) I don't think that we have something like a textview that supports different colors of the text.
NecroRomancist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just set that gui as an example, if due to the Syllable API it had to be different i guess it wouldn't matter Smile
Morph
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="cipri"]
nr 1 ) listview has a few bugs

nr 2 ) I think treeview has also a major bug, it is similar to a bug o listview

nr 3 ) Some controls of the syllable API have problems with the alignment, they don't align like they should.[/quote]

Don't let bugs like that stop you - they're usually fairly easy to fix, if you can give a specific case where the bug occurs, and maybe a screenshot.
cipri

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For examle: The bugs of listview I reported 1-2 years ago. And they were confirmed by Vanders. He proposed that the whole listview should be rewritten.
He proposed also, that at least, a fix for the "No Column Remap" option would be necessary. I sent him a patch for that, but it seems that it never reached him.

Then I reported that the media server has problems with audio files that have a very short time duration. I gave a few examples, Arno confirmed it, but nothing changed. That means, even today, it can happen, that after a few chess matches with Puri, the media server breaks, if the bord sounds are turned on.
For example if you like to try this, you can take some sound files, that are about 1 second long, o shorter, put tem into coldfish, and let coldfish play the files in a endless loop. And then count the seconds till the media server breaks Very Happy

I didn't tested it, but I'm 99,9999% sure that these bugs are still there.

I understand that there are a lot more impotant thigs to do, and that there are to less developers. So of course I won't repet my bug reports, nor will I insist that they should be solved. Now that Arno seems to be.. gone... the probability is even smaller that bug reports related to gui and media sever are fixed.
So I can only home, that from Vanders body will grow another suplimentar 2 arms/hands that can replace Arno's.

Vanders with 4 hands, I think this is the way to go. Very Happy
Vanders
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ListView & TreeView classes do need to be replaced, which is why I've never put much effort into fixing them.

The media server bug is still outstanding, but it's fairly minor in the grand scheme of things.
Vanders
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="NecroRomancist"]What do you people think of doing something like Syllable - Month Project? People could propose a number of applications to be developed / ported and if selected a group could work on that project for a month. I'm proposing this,because i think it would be a good way of sharing efforts. I for one i'm not that good at doing GUI's,if someone were to design a gui for a given application i wouldn't mind working on the backend code.[/quote]

Do you know that's not a bad idea at all. I'll split this thread so this can be discussed in a thread of it's own.
NecroRomancist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:10 am    Post subject: Project Ideas Reply with quote

So what do you think should be the first project of the month?
My proposals are:

1 - Improve archiver bring it to a state where it can be included in Syllable's cd?
2 - Write a backend for gnash and integrate it with webster?
3 - Fix SDL and updated it to the latest version?
4 - Use something like gloox to create a Jabber client for Syllable (http://camaya.net/gloox). Update and fix Chat (where is its source)?
5 - Create a frontend for Builder?
6 - Use libcurl to create a ftp,scp,https... client for Syllable.
7 - Finish gcj port.
8 - Do a bug squashing day Smile
Etc..
Vanders
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Project Ideas Reply with quote

[quote="NecroRomancist"]
1 - Improve archiver bring it to a state where it can be included in Syllable's cd?
[/quote]

Archiver really needs to be re-written as it isn't flexible enough. Rick is the only person who can offer any real input here.

[quote]3 - Fix SDL and updated it to the latest version?[/quote]

Maybe, yes. Get the Mesa port working & integrate it with SDL might be good, too.

[quote]4 - Use something like gloox to create a Jabber client for Syllable (http://camaya.net/gloox). Update and fix Chat (where is its source)?[/quote]

We have libpurple, so that would be a better candidate for an IM client, but yes this would be nice to see. Might be a bit of a big project for one month, though?

[quote]5 - Create a frontend for Builder?[/quote]

Nah, I don't think it really needs one as a developer tool.

[quote]
2 - Write a backend for gnash and integrate it with webster?
6 - Use libcurl to create a ftp,scp,https... client for Syllable.
7 - Finish gcj port.
8 - Do a bug squashing day :)
[/quote]

These are all good, except #8 should be "Do a bug squashing [b]month[/b]"!

Choosing a particular set of drivers and updating/porting as many as possible might be a good one too?

Let's brainstorm some ideas and see what people think.
hakim

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I would vote either for bug squashing or updating/porting drivers.
Surely wouldn't vote for 1-5 & 7. CLI archiving utilities work well, flash, java is not sth of much use, 3d apps/games also are not of much use currently, chat client shouldn't be in high priority.
Here is one suggestion from my side: update and improve webster, file browser or media player.
Morph
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd vote for 1 (archiver), 6 (ftp GUI) or maybe 2 (Flash in Webster). I'm happy to help Smile
Vanders
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brainstorm some ideas in this thread and I'll put up a poll tomorrow with them in so people can choose to vote.
cipri

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the poll should have to categories:
First:
The people should have the possibility to vote, which project they would like to see done in this month.

Second:
The people should have the possibility to vote, to which project they think that they could contribute with some source code.

And perhaps the list with, the people that claim that they would contribute with source code should be made public, so that we have a more realistic result of the developers that would like to contribute. Otherwise, some users, that would like to have a certain Application, could vote that they contribute with source code, but in fact, they know exact, that they can't contribute.

And only registered people should be able to vote, so that, multiple votes, can be eliminated.

Now, my proposal of the application of they month is:
A dock-plug-in that can be used to automate user tasks.

For example in the dock-plug-in the people can specify Global Shortcuts.
For example the user specifies that Ctrl+Alt+Del calls the System Information and shut down on Ctrl+Alt+End. Or execute a certain script at a predefined global shortcut.

Or the time and date plug-in could be improved. For example it should be able, to set an alarm notification. For example, play a certain sound a a certain date , or start a application at a certain date. Or execute a script.
Vanders
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="cipri"]I think the poll should have to categories:
First:
The people should have the possibility to vote, which project they would like to see done in this month.

Second:
The people should have the possibility to vote, to which project they think that they could contribute with some source code.
[/quote]

This is how I see it working in my head. Feel free to chip in with ideas or point out anything stupid:
[list]
o People brainstorm ideas, and the best ones go to a poll for people to vote on. After a couple of days or so, the one with the most votes wins.
o Create a Wiki page someplace and spend a month throwing ideas around to assemble a design and break the project down. We're not talking UML diagrams and functional specs, just a rough idea of what the project will cover, what it needs to do and what needs to be done.
o Anyone who is interested in helping out sticks their hand in the air and lets everyone know what can be done. If there are any gaps, ask around for a bit of help.
o Spend a month working on the project.
[/list:u]
Realistically there would be several phases overlapping the entire time, so while one project is being written next months is being hashed out on the wiki and people continue to suggest new projects to go into the next poll. At some point in the cycle there would have to be month of "going over" the previous projects and doing maintenance, bug fixing etc. to stop everything going stale.

This seems perfectly manageable to me with just one person doing a little light work to keep it organised. All that is needed is a Wiki and a source repository someplace for the projects to live. If people like the idea I'll have a think and chat with Kaj and see what we can come up with to help out with the infrastructure.
Rohan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>All that is needed is a Wiki and a source repository someplace for the projects to live.
What kind of Wiki would be better for Syllable project?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Syllable Forum Index -> Community Project All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: