Syllable Forum Index Syllable
Syllable Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Project of the Month?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
skywaker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: my vote is Reply with quote

1.. port opengl mesa lib
2.. port RadeonHD linux driver |there are open specification| -- i have radeon hd and i must use vesa driver...
3.. maybe someone fix a long text under a icons.. i hate this bug....when i copy mp3 with long text to desktop then is realy ugly.
4.. make somebody online package manager for download aplications from net .. when i want use some app i must 1 hour search on syllable pages...
NecroRomancist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Porting drivers would be great but how can that be a month project? I mean how do you "multi thread" that? And wouldn't that reduce the number of people who can work on a given project?
Talking about radeonhd , how hard would it be to port the MMIO section to Syllable?

Maybe we could integrate http://www.t2-project.org/packages/ddcxinfo.html onto the appserver and transverse through the graphic drivers now on Syllable and adapt them? And has a consequence rewrite the resolution selection screen?

Whatever we choose the projects needs to be very well divided,so like Vanders said we go to the wiki select the section of the project we think we can do and help Syllable.
cipri

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is important that the project of the month is not to advanced. Because this could hold new people away, and the project of the month... probably would be made only by people that are already coding for syllable.
We need a project, that is also accessible for newbies.
We need something that make our developer base a little bigger.

I think nothing could be better than little GUI applications. I think for a newbie, porting something is not relevant, because he/she will say: ok, its too heavy for me, I let the others do that, which have more experience.

To satisfy both, the people that want a more advanced project, and people that want a newbie project, we could start two projects per month. And some people from the advanced group, should also participate a little (but not too much) to the newbie project.
NecroRomancist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree cipri Smile
Vanders
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="NecroRomancist"]Porting drivers would be great but how can that be a month project? I mean how do you "multi thread" that? And wouldn't that reduce the number of people who can work on a given project?[/quote]

You're right, porting drivers may be difficult to parallelise, but see below.

[quote="cipri"]I think it is important that the project of the month is not to advanced. Because this could hold new people away, and the project of the month... probably would be made only by people that are already coding for syllable.[/quote]

I'm not so sure. If the idea is to have a different project each month, it isn't a disaster if the project one month is particularly advanced, because you just have to wait for the next month (& vote for the projects YOU would like to do!). If it's going to be community driven I don't see why there can not be a mix of different projects, some more advanced than others.

[quote="NecroRomancist"]Talking about radeonhd , how hard would it be to port the MMIO section to Syllable?[/quote]

Not hard, but that isn't the tricky part of the driver. You'd have to port all the device configuration stuff, and to make it any faster than the VESA driver you'd have to port the 2D drawing methods.

[quote="NecroRomancist"]Maybe we could integrate http://www.t2-project.org/packages/ddcxinfo.html onto the appserver and transverse through the graphic drivers now on Syllable and adapt them?[/quote]

Oh, nice. Thanks for that, it could be very useful. Adding hardware based DDC support to the video drivers would be an example of a parallelisable driver related project, by the way.
NecroRomancist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mentioned MMIO because of this http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjYxMA Smile
hakim

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: my vote is Reply with quote

[quote="skywaker"]4.. make somebody online package manager for download aplications from net .. when i want use some app i must 1 hour search on syllable pages...[/quote]
Maybe a better idea would be to fix the website? There are only 2 sections with apps for Syllable: [url=http://web.syllable.org/pages/applications.html]Applications[/url] and [url=http://web.syllable.org/pages/resources.html]Resources[/url].

[quote="Morph"]or maybe 2 (Flash in Webster)[/quote]
Why so many people are eager to get flash support even Webster has lots of rendering bugs and application itself currently is very buggy. It doesn't render perfectly even acid1 test which is rendered perfectly even by IE6 not to mention acid2.

As for the project being not too advanced, I agree with Vanders - one project could be for beginners and another for advanced devs.
Vanders
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: my vote is Reply with quote

[quote="hakim"][quote="Morph"]or maybe 2 (Flash in Webster)[/quote]
Why so many people are eager to get flash support even:
1) Syllable is meant for older PCs;[/quote]

Not really. Syllable is [i]capable[/i] of running on older machines where a lot of other OSes have problems, but that does not mean we are specifically targeting older hardware. People run Syllable on everything from old Pentium 2's all the way up to brand-new CoreDuo laptops.

[quote]2) Webster has lots of rendering bugs and application itself currently is very buggy. It doesn't render perfectly even acid1 test which is rendered perfectly even by IE6 not to mention acid2.[/quote]

Now this is something that could be a project: get stuck into the WebCore port and add as much functionality/fix as many bugs as possible.
hakim

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: my vote is Reply with quote

[quote="Vanders"]
Not really. Syllable is [i]capable[/i] of running on older machines where a lot of other OSes have problems, but that does not mean we are specifically targeting older hardware. People run Syllable on everything from old Pentium 2's all the way up to brand-new CoreDuo laptops.[/quote]
Yeah, first clicked post and a second later understood that I was wrong about that Embarassed
cipri

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]I'm not so sure. If the idea is to have a different project each month, it isn't a disaster if the project one month is particularly advanced, because you just have to wait for the next month (& vote for the projects YOU would like to do!). If it's going to be community driven I don't see why there can not be a mix of different projects, some more advanced than others. [/quote]

Yes, it sounds ok. I mix of devs is good if the difference of the level of knowledge between the members is not too big. In a more advanced project a newbie would be more a visitor than a developer. And this won't make the newbie happy. ( I know from my own experience, that learning by doing, is more efficient, than learning by watching what others are doing).
You are right when you say, that the newbie can vote the project where he likes to participate. But if there is only one project per month, there is a dilemma:
For example he knows, that a certain project would be too dificult for him and he could not contribute too much.
Now he has the possibility to vote for a newbie project. Bu he is also a user, and probably he thinks: The advanced project, sounds much better and it will be more useful for me, so I can't vote for the newbie project, even if I would like to participate in a newbie project. Because I would hold the "real" deves from doing something great. I will be a buffeter for the whole syllable project.

You say, that the newbie can wait till a newbie project is voted. Well, I think "waiting" will mean, less progress. If a newbie lernes something, then he waits a month or two, then probably till the next time he will forget a lot of things that he had learned.

I think it wouldn't be a problem to have this 2 categories.

1) Project of the month
2) Newbie project of the month

And the people can vote, where they like to take place. If a category has in a month, not enought developers, than well, the project won't thake place. But if there are enought devs for both categories. Why not have 2 projects in a month? This means more progress.

And I think for the newbies it will be more fun to have their own projects, where they can experiment, and wher they don't have the pressure of writing efficient code with a good design. It should be more a playground. The more advanced devs should be only tutors for the newbies, and not the working horse of the newbie projects Smile
Vanders
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another idea: port the gtkpod backend & libmtp and write a music syncing application using them.
NecroRomancist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Vanders"]Here's another idea: port the gtkpod backend & libmtp and write a music syncing application using them.[/quote]

Of all the dependencies of gtkpod, not considering gtk for the gui, only libgpod seems to be more "difficult" and we're only lacking libmtp which depends on libusb.

Libgpod seems more difficult,but it shouldn't be that difficult. From here http://repos.archlinux.org/viewvc.cgi/libgpod/repos/extra-i686/PKGBUILD?revision=356&view=markup .

Mutagen depends on python so its portable and the others are from i see easily portable also. Tomorrow i'll have some news Smile

Even if we don't start this project at least we will have the foundations for it Smile
dav7

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree that this is an excellent idea.

Here is my $0.02 worth:[list]
[*] Title the effort "Project of the month", but rule it out so that a given project can span to 3 months of focused time if progress is slow. Maybe.
[*] I agree with cipri's idea to have two types of project for the month, one for budding and another for mature developers - this will most certainly speed up production.
[*] In the more advanced projects, split up the individual components that need to be worked on/whatever, and rate each component by "feasability" to "intermediate" developers - for example, laying out the UI in a new application, or translating/fixing some strings, which is a relatively easy thing to do - so that said new developers can move to what is classified as a "mature" project and really feel that they are contributing to the community.
[*] Setup some comparison pages and get some devs that know GTK/Qt/<insert a tookit or library here>/WinAPI etc to list how [XYZ] is done in Syllable vs. how it is done in another toolkit, so that developers wishing to contribute to Syllable are easily able to get started.
[*] Do some brainstorming about different types of applications that are simple to write (in the context of someone who already knows C++) but very, [i]very[/i] heavily rely on different Syllable-centric features such as its OOP API, and put list these as programming tasks for developers of any kind who want to get a feel of how to write for Syllable, and make some space for "entries" to be submitted - not for evaluation, but as pieces of code people can pick at for things like ideas or algorithm concepts... who knows, brand new applications may spawn from this (because of the way someone wrote a solution to a problem, etc).
[/list:u]Later on, maybe financial gain can become a part in this project - companies and individuals who wish to contribute are out there, they just have to say "Hi" - and, of course, wherever I can I mention Syllable... Razz

-dav7
Kaj
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Vanders"][quote="NecroRomancist"]Maybe we could integrate http://www.t2-project.org/packages/ddcxinfo.html onto the appserver and transverse through the graphic drivers now on Syllable and adapt them?[/quote]

Oh, nice. Thanks for that, it could be very useful. Adding hardware based DDC support to the video drivers would be an example of a parallelisable driver related project, by the way.[/quote]

Would that really have to go into the AppServer itself? It's GPL, so it would taint the AppServer into becoming GPL instead of LGPL, and that's a problem.
Kaj
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: my vote is Reply with quote

[quote="hakim"][quote="skywaker"]4.. make somebody online package manager for download aplications from net .. when i want use some app i must 1 hour search on syllable pages...[/quote]
Maybe a better idea would be to fix the website? There are only 2 sections with apps for Syllable: [url=http://web.syllable.org/pages/applications.html]Applications[/url] and [url=http://web.syllable.org/pages/resources.html]Resources[/url].

[/quote]

I didn't know we had that many downloads yet. Wink It's not a bug, it's a feature request, and it has been planned from the start, if you read our announcement in our [url=http://web.syllable.org/news/old-news.html]news archive[/url]. Our new download section has only been developed for half a year. Categorised downloads don't make much sense when you have few downloads, and it's a fair amount of work to implement them, so we will do them later.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Syllable Forum Index -> Community Project All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: