Syllable Forum Index Syllable
Syllable Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

0.6.6 RC (03 Mar 2009) extremley slow on VirtualBox
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stephen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:31 am    Post subject: 0.6.6 RC (03 Mar 2009) extremley slow on VirtualBox Reply with quote

It's been about 3-4 years since I've last played with Syllable. I decided to give it another try. As virtualisation is now ripe and a mass-phenomena, tried to install it on VirtualBox (version 2.1.4 on Ubuntu 8.04).
I'm an avid user of Linux, so command line and logfiles are not strange concepts to me. If I can supply any of those to help finding the bug(s) I will be glad to do so.

1) The installation onto the filesystem took a very long time (~ 1 hour). I used the normal installation (only later did I discover, that the installer has a "VirtualBox" installation)

2) Still on the "normal" (non VirtualBox) installation: It is extremley slow. Here are some things I've noticed in general:
a) The clock in the dock slows down (!) once I do a few things and use the CPU a little, and speeds back up to the current speed again
b) The clock drops back by a minute or more, once it has too great a lag because of the problem mentioned before. As an example: If I try to open facebook in Webster it starts blocking the processor for about two minutes. The clock speeds up and only synchronises the seconds but not the minutes. If, say, Webster has started processing at 16:23:01 and stopped at 16:25:35, the clock only speeds up to 16:23:35 and then continues "ticking" normally
c) "CPU usage" application shows 0%-2% CPU when doing nothing, but 20% - 60% just when moving the mouse around on the desktop.

Cheers,
Stephen
Vanders
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. There is currently no video driver for the VirtualBox video device in Syllable, which is why you see such high CPU usage when you move the mouse, or drag a window: Syllable is doing everything in software, which on a virtualised video device is very, very slow.

The clock speed changing sounds like a VirtualBox issue: clock ticks should be generated as near to real time as possible, but it seems VirtualBox may not always do that.
stephen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the answer. I'll have to stick to real hardware then ;-)
stephen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have finally achieved some speed-up. There are a few mistakes I've made, so I cannot really call this a bug anymore:

1. I've created a "growing" harddisk. This was probably what lead to the "slow" installation (~ 1hour). I've now created a fixed-size partition and installed Syllable onto it. The installation was a breeze in about 2-3 minutes.

2. Installing the non-SMP / VirtualBox version has helped a lot with the snappiness of the system. It is not as achingly slow as the "first" system I had. The system is still slow, but just moving the cursor around on the desktop does not even make my system sweat.

3. I have rescaled the graphics memory for the VM to have at least 1024*768*16 Bits to fit in. Though I tried that before the re-installation and it didn't change a thing, so I'm not sure if this really helped.

Cheers,
Stephen
Morph
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might find 32bit video modes are faster, since there's less conversions between colour spaces.

Well, you probably won't notice any difference since it's hardly likely to be the bottleneck Smile
stephen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using the VirtualBox installation option is the way to go. It is really fast: boots in about 5 seconds, everyhting is snappy and nothing really slows it down (well, apart from doing cpu-intensive work obviously). I'd say move this to "resolved".
Kaj
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's still an issue that boot options are needed for VirtualBox.
Gouslar

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've installed 0.6.6 "for VirtualBox" on a fixed size VDI drive on a [email protected] on amd64. Installation and mouse movements are very slow, hard to deal with. Video memory has been set to 64M.
Kaj
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try variations in the kernel boot parameters. This seems to be very dependent on the VirtualBox version.
Gouslar

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, Syllable does not install its own bootmgr. I need to install 2.5G of Ubuntu to install Grub on a VDI...
Gouslar

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaj wrote at REBOL3:
VirtualBox has always been very bad at running Syllable
VMware and QEmu work much better

So I will try QEmu, will report at a separate (qemu) forum topic.
Kaj
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean Syllable does not install GrUB on VirtualBox? What's the error message?
Gouslar

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't notice the Syllable's error - was AFK during installation.

The VirtualBox reboots and the BIOS shows "No bootable media found."
Kaj
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you choose for installing GrUB on the Master Boot Record?
Gouslar

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that either I made the keyboard buffer overflow before that, or there was some error before that.
Unknown.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Syllable Forum Index -> Bugs All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: