Syllable Forum Index Syllable
Syllable Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

radeon driver puts monitor frequency out of range
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kaj
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the Radeon driver work on several machines. You just have to be careful with choosing the resolution, because not all of them work on all chips.

I don't know if changing the default setting would improve this for people in general. If the driver doesn't work on a machine, they can now use the installation option that disables any video driver.
Vanders
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="adamk"]Does the radeon driver work for anyone here? Perhaps it would be best to set EnableR300 to 0 by default?[/quote]

My development & build machine has an X300 in it, and I know others have successfully run Syllable on newer cards (because we added Atom BIOS support to the driver, which is only available on newer cards).
adamk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, well here is the latest serial debug log:

http://adam.npark.com/syllable-boot.txt

It's loading the radeon driver. Interestingly it seems 'Monitor 1' as a CRT, but does not see 'Monitor 2' which is odd as I do have an LCD hooked up to the 2nd DVI port. The LCD displays "No input signal" and goes to sleep, the CRT displays the "out of range" error and then goes to sleep.

EDIT: I just tried booting with just the LCD hooked up. Same problem. However, if I boot with just the CRT hooked up, it works:

http://adam.npark.com/syllable-boot-crt-only.txt

Adam

Last edited by adamk on Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:14 am; edited 1 time in total
adamk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Kaj"]I've had the Radeon driver work on several machines. You just have to be careful with choosing the resolution, because not all of them work on all chips.
[/quote]

I just installed this development snapshot and haven't even gotten to the point of changing the resolution. The default resolution has this problem Smile

EDIT:
[quote]If the driver doesn't work on a machine, they can now use the installation option that disables any video driver.[/quote]

True. I never noticed that option till you mentioned it above Smile

Adam
Kaj
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you can work with your CRT monitor attached, and if you want to have your LCD powered on at the same time, you need to install in VESA mode.

Apparently, the LCD confuses the driver into driving the CRT at the wrong resolution, so this is not the normal issue with the ATI driver.
adamk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Kaj"]

Apparently, the LCD confuses the driver into driving the CRT at the wrong resolution, so this is not the normal issue with the ATI driver.[/quote]

Apparently the LCD confuses the driver in general. If there was just some confusion when having both monitors hooked up, I'd expect it to work when having each monitor separate hooked up, but that's only the case for the CRT Sad

Time to use the vesa driver, I guess.

Adam
Vanders
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="adamk"]
EDIT: I just tried booting with just the LCD hooked up. Same problem. However, if I boot with just the CRT hooked up, it works[/quote]

Obviously the LCD is causing the issue. Any chance you could connect your LCD to the #1 connector and produce a boot log of that?
adamk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay. Here's the output with the DVI monitor hooked up to each port individually:

http://adam.npark.com/syllable-dvi-port1.txt
http://adam.npark.com/syllable-dvi-port2.txt

The -port1 log is when the monitor is hooked up to the port that I always use it on when I have the CRT hooked up, too.

Adam
Vanders
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, I'd better do some testing on my dual-output X300, because it clearly is not auto-detecting your monitor at all. There are a couple of suspicious blocks of code I need to check some more. This will take time so bear with me!
adamk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, still a problem with the January snapshot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Syllable Forum Index -> Bugs All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: