Joined: 18 Dec 2008
|Posted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:06 am Post subject: [news] FullFAT - Portable, Embedded FAT Driver
|As already posted before, FullFAT is an open source (GPLv3) fully featured FAT12/16 and FAT32 filesystem driver.
Here are some news from the renewed FullFAT website ( http://www.fullfat-fs.co.uk/ ).
22 Gen 2010 - FullFAT 1.0.5 was Released:
This is an interim release, which includes many fixes and enhancements. Especially notable are:
* Multiple Fixes from Hein Tibosch.
* Fully Working Linux Demo.
* FF_INLINE_MEMORY_FUNCTION (easily inline memory independence functions).
* Accurate Free-space reporting.
* Many bug fixes from other partners.
All users of FullFAT are advised to update their projects as soon as possible. (Note v1.0.0 is still considered safe for production use).
02 Feb 2010 - FullFAT 1.1.0 Coming Soon!
The roadmap for FullFAT has changed quite dramatically over the last 24 hours. Iíve been performance profiling all aspects of FullFAT, particularly with respect to directory traversal, and file opening. So far Iíve been able to make gains of more than a 1000x improvement.
This performance optimisation is going to continue of the next few days.
Because of this huge, and much needed, improvement Iíve decided to make prepare for a 1.1.0 release. This will be 100% API compatible with the 1.0.x series. This now means that the FullFAT re-write which was going to be released under the 1.1.x series, will now be known as the FullFAT 2.x.x series.
New features for 1.1.x:
* Massive Performance Improvements.
* Guid Partition Table (GPT) support.
* Working Hash table for near instant shortname lookup.
* Many bug-fixes, and stability improvements.
20 Feb 2010 - Whatís Different in FullFAT 1.1.0
FullFAT 1.1.0 is coming very soon. There have been some huge changes since the 1.0.x series. Iíve tried to ensure that all APIís remain the same, however some have changed their behaviour slightly, to ensure that FullFAT works more consistently. Here is a list of the changes so far:
* Correct Error Checking
* All Errors flow right back to the APIís, this means that they must be checked for values < 0.
* Huge Performance Gains on Directory traversal. (1000x improvement on recursive operations). (40x improvement on dir listing).
* FF_FindFirst() and FF_FindNext() now accept wildCards. (This beviour can be disabled by commenting FF_FINDAPI_ALLOW_WILDCARDS in ff_config.h out).
Behaviour of FF_FindFirst() wildCards is explained in the documentation. The comments above FF_FindFirst() in ff_dir.c.
* UNICODE Support. If FF_UNICODE_SUPPORT is defined in ff_config.h, and LFNs are enabled, then all APIís become UTF-16 accepting.
* New Demoís, consistent for Windows and Linux. All examples now use only the public APIís, and are much simpler.
* FullFAT 1.1.x series must have at least 2 sectors of memory. (For 512byte Blocksize, it requires 1K for buffers).
This requirement is a part of the directory traversal improvements.
FullFAT 2.0.0 series will remove this requirement.
There may be some other differences not noted here, however they will appear in documentation shortly.
Expect an official release in approximately 1 or 2 weeks time. (Grab from SVN to test).
Hope that inspires !