Syllable Forum Index Syllable
Syllable Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Network INSTALL Syllable

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nute

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:39 am    Post subject: Network INSTALL Syllable Reply with quote

Is there any standard way to Install Syllable via PXE, pre execution environment?

One way to do this would be to build a minimal Linux system and using it copy everything over that Syllable needs. How do you copy the boot sector though?

I don't have a boot able DVD drive on my old K6-2 500 system. I can boot Fedora 7 or
network boot and that is it.

If I have time, I'd love to try and help develop a network based installer for Syllable.
Kaj
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no support for network installation, although the GrUB boot loader has the fundamentals, so it's doable to implement. Someone here on the forum was working on that last year, but we haven't heard from it since.

Installing Syllable Desktop through Linux is not possible, because they use different file systems. Although it can be done through emulators, by running the Syllable install CD on an emulator on Linux, while having the real target partition mounted through the emulator.

By the way, you don't need a bootable DVD player to install Syllable, just a bootable CD player. If you can boot Fedora 7, why can't you boot Syllable?
Morph
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other possibilities are booting from a USB stick, http://forum.syllable.org/viewtopic.php?t=1492 , or using a more advanced bootloader like Grub4dos which can boot from an iso file on a hard disk, see http://forum.syllable.org/viewtopic.php?t=1653&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15 . Both of these should work in principle but would probably need some trial-and-error to get working.
nute

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:33 pm    Post subject: Network INSTALL Syllable Reply with quote

I have an old K6-2 500 system and I'm using an old DVD reader, compaq model, on an
add-in card. This add on card is not bootable. I installed Fedora by PXE booting via a
floppy disk.

Linux can support different file systems. Does Syllable work on a Fat32 file system created in Linux? If it does, there is the possibility of creating a Linux based installer for it.
If Syllable uses something exotic like Andrew File System, then the first trick is to get
Linux supporting that fs. Once that is done, there should be no problem setting things up
from Linux. Since Syllable server is Linux based, I'd be awfully surprised to find that Linux can't manipulate Syllable Desktop Systems.
Kaj
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linux, including Syllable Server, can't manipulate Syllable Desktop systems. Smile

Desktop needs its own AFS (AtheOS) file system. AtheOS in its first versions booted from FAT, but that's a very long time ago. Syllable boots from ISO9660 on the live CD, but it immediately creates a few native RAM disks to copy the critical parts into.

Of course, installing from Linux would become possible if the AFS driver would be ported to Linux. There's an eight years old project for that on SourceForge, but nothing came of it.

If you have an extra partition, you can install QEmu on Fedora, mount the partition in QEmu, and run the Syllable installer in QEmu. We did that a few years ago to get it on an EeePC.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Syllable Forum Index -> Syllable Desktop All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: