Syllable Forum Index Syllable
Syllable Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[Server 0.4] Developer's Delight

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nos

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:48 am    Post subject: [Server 0.4] Developer's Delight Reply with quote

Trying to install Developer's Delight as administrator DD ask you to be root
creating a root account I could still not get the privileges I needed to install.

tried various other things:
from root account - like sudo ./install.sh, s ./install.sh
from aministrator account su -l root, s su -l root

changelog for server 0.4 mentioned root has been renamed to administrator.

in the end I edited the install.sh script save it and was able to install Smile

also is there any order for installing

Syllable Server 0.4 development files
ShellEssentials-1.Linux.i486.zip
NetworkNecessities-1.Linux.i486.zip
DevelopersDelight-1.Linux.i486.zip
PerlPit-1.Linux.i486.zip

with installing Syllable Server 0.4 development files (off the website:Contrary to other software for Syllable, the development files must match the Syllable system version exactly.) then installing DevelopersDelight-1.Linux.i486.zip gave me warnings that it was replacing some files would like to make sure there the same version. Laughing
Kaj
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ai, you hit an upgrade snag there. Prefixing the sudo or "s" command is correct, but the install script of the current collection packs still tests for a user named "root", instead of user 0. You could indeed adapt the install script, changing "root" to "system", or install the contained packages individually.

The order of installation doesn't matter, as long as you don't run programs that don't have their dependencies installed yet. But you would get an error message that should point in that direction, anyway.

A few packages overwrite a few files by brute force. In Developer's Delight, the BinUtils package overwrites a skeleton version in the system that only contains the objcopy program. Nothing is lost there. The GDb package contains a few debugging versions of programs in BinUtils, I think. Because Syllable uses application directories, they're installed alongside each other, so nothing is lost, but here the installation order is important. The registration symlinks get overwritten, so the last package registered gets precedence. You can change the precedence order by rerunning the registration with the package command. This has nothing to do with the development files pack, which is more critical.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Syllable Forum Index -> Bugs All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: