Syllable Forum Index Syllable
Syllable Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

vmWare and the size of the hard disk

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sylvestre

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:58 am    Post subject: vmWare and the size of the hard disk Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
Lately I tried to resize the hard disk on the vmware image of Syllable 0.6.6, but in the end I just deleted it, therefore can we resize that hard disk ? I'd like to play with syllable under emulation software, but a 1Go hard disk filled at 25% from the start seems rather small for the purpose.
Morph
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't resize the Syllable partition, but it's easy enough to create another virtual disk as big as you like and add it to the virtual machine. You can partition and format the new disk using the disk manager in Syllable. Then you can store files, etc on the new disk. Or you could create your own virtual machine and install Syllable in it yourself.
sylvestre

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your advices, I think I'll make my way in adding a new hard disk to the image.

I'm being rather clumsy but I've never used vmWare before (It turns out that I've gotten a copy from a well known torrent server just to give a go to Syllable under emulation).
The other emulating solutions, namely Qemu, virtualBox and virtual Pc keep on crashing at the first boot or simply wouldn't handle the install process.

I didn't roam in all the syllable web site but just a web page where the users could testify on their hardware installation might be an asset for Syllable and the new comers.
Kaj
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the virtual partition is 10 GB. Is it really 1 GB?

Are you using the specific Syllable boot menu entry for the emulators you mention? All but QEmu need special options.

We used to have a hardware feedback site, but it went down, sadly.
sylvestre

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm not the "tech" person but anyhow selecting the appropriate emulating software in the menu was my first move.

And yes the size of the virtual disk is indeed 1Go not 10, with 256Mo of ram (which aren't a problem we can resize at will).
If you release a new Syllable some days make that virtual drive bigger it's definitely more appealling for use and testing.

For the others emulating software, I tried several combination till I ended up in downloading the vmWare soft (which is a nice products by the way)
Kaj
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we should increase that size in a future release.

VMware also works best for emulating Syllable Desktop, and then QEmu.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Syllable Forum Index -> Syllable Desktop All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: