Syllable Forum Index Syllable
Syllable Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

installation failure copying user-early-init.sh

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hipsterical

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:45 pm    Post subject: installation failure copying user-early-init.sh Reply with quote

after several minutes installing syllable 0.6.6 desktop the install program exits with a fatal error. tried twice experiencing the same failure.

this is more or less the output :

[quote]failed to extract base package to /dev/disk/ata/hda/0. stopping.
the installation failed for one unknown reason. report at.... (etc)

ls: cannot access /system/indexes/early-init
no such file or directory

ls: cannot access /resources/indexes/early-init
no such file or directory

bash: /system/user-early-init.sh: no such file or directory.[/quote]

i checked md5sum for the downloaded archive SyllableDesktop-0.6.6.i586.iso.7z and it matched:

$ db35c5330772077536073515b34ca76f SyllableDesktop-0.6.6.i586.iso.7z

re-extracted the iso image again, this time by command line, largely for superstiction's sake.
mounted it -o loop in a temporary directory and checked for differences with the CD copy: both contain the same exact number of files and directories (1905 files, 143 subfolders) for an overall file size of 241.1 Mbyte (252.765.320) . and yes, user-early-init.sh is missing in the dir tree.

i assume my copy is sound and the install script points to files not actually existing on the install CD, causing the error.

the target system is a working compaq deskpro EN series SFF P-II 350 mhz with 262144 kb RAM. and approx 6 Gb hd in a single syllable partition. optic drive is an old laptop (slim) cd drive unable to read CD-RW (used CD-R)

the system used to download and write the CD image is debian 5 amd64x2 .
Kaj
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's good that you checked the validity of your CD, so we can exclude that.

The relevant error message is this one:

"failed to extract base package to /dev/disk/ata/hda/0"

The following ones are of no concern if memory serves. They're ugly, but they're just files and folders that are missing on the stripped down install CD. They will be in the eventual installation.

Did you try to install in one one of the safe modes? Did you try the live CD and do you need to use one of the safe modes there?
hipsterical

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

last night i attempted all the safe modes. wild saturday night party, gee. the failsafe first, that hanged leaving the cd rom drive stuck in a reading loop. then i attempted other more or less castrated modes , receiving the usual crc and bad zip file offset errors crowned by the final fatal error, the same i reported above. note that the install process goes on for quite some time before failing. having no other real world system to immolate i'm attempting an installation under virtualbox right now, mounting the disk image in the virtual drive to see if the error reiterates.
hipsterical

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the VBox installation succeeded on a stripped down vm. I start suspecting there's something wrong with my hardware, namely the cd drive.
hipsterical

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im attempting to install an open solaris distro and see what happens with that old hw,still not giving up with Syllable though.
Kaj
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An unreliable CD drive would definitely cause the kind of errors you're seeing, especially the CRC errors. Sometimes it can be circumvented by disabling ATA DMA, but I suppose you've already tried that. Sometimes it might also help to burn the CD on a different burner.

If you can get hold of a different CD drive during the installation, possibly a USB one, that would also help.

Another thing that might help would be disabling the PnP OS setting in the BIOS of the machine, if it has that. Although it probably doesn't come into play when you got as far as you did.
hipsterical

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like that old drive (it's a toshiba xm 1902 b for laptops) not just can't read cd-rw but also has serious issues with cd-r . being the machine a FTT model there is no physical space for a common cd drive so i guess next week i'll open the hood and try with a full blown cd drive attached on the fly just to install the os.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Syllable Forum Index -> Bugs All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: