Syllable Forum Index Syllable
Syllable Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Word Processing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nute

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:48 am    Post subject: Word Processing Reply with quote

Syllable is still apparently an alpha quality OS, but I have found that it works pretty well.

Problem is applications, is there any word processing app yet for Syllable?

Open office would be ideal, but even abiword is good enough.

In addition to a word processor, a spreadsheet would be nice also.

I want to set up a computer for simple word processing and basic web browsing.

Is it possible to use firefox yet in Syllable? Perhaps webster has become more capable?

Does webster work with modern PHP based web sites? I use a horde 5.1.4 framework
based web site for email access. I know that syllable has Whisper, can't remember if
that supports IMAP.

I'm considering my options for an old Pentium 4 based laptop where I want to have
something that my computer illiterate mother can feel comfortable with. Linux is getting
bloated and scary IMO, although Linux is what I use. Windows is getting expensive and
has some other major problems. It has been a few years since I've looked at Syllable
seriously. What has changed in 4 years? One option is to do a Linux/Syllable set up,
20 gigs for each. Any user contributed documentation on how to set that up???

Is it possible to build Syllable on Syllable or does Syllable have an updater yet?
Kaj
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with your assessments.

Applications have always been the biggest problem, because Syllable has its own GUI toolkit. I made some headway last year in porting GTK+, Qt, Enlightenment and even X11. I got farthest with Enlightenment, but they're all still stuck at a level that their GUIs are not available yet.

So we don't have LibreOffice and Firefox, or even AbiWord. Whisper does not support IMAP. Webster has improvements since four years ago. PHP websites in themselves are no problem: it depends on what the websites do. When they don't work in Webster, it's usually due to some JavaScript running in the browser.

In general, it has turned out that very few people want to program C++ programs for Syllable's nice own GUI, so there are no new programs. I'm still following our strategy of developing Red and REBOL 3 to be able to make Syllable programs with them.

If you want to make a multi-boot installation, you could usually install the other operating system, Linux or Windows, first. Then when you install Syllable, the installer will make a GrUB 1 boot menu with entries that chainload the other partitions it found. On the other hand, this may be problematic with new Linux distros that use GrUB 2. In particular, I have never gotten Ubuntu to use its GrUB bootloader from anywhere else than the Master Boot Record. In that case, you'd have to install Syllable later, install its GrUB 1 on the Syllable partition instead of the MBR, and then use GrUB 2 documentation to add an entry to the Linux boot menu to chainload to GrUB 1 on Syllable's partition.

Syllable Desktop needs to be built on Syllable itself. Updating single programs is easy, and new Syllable releases have an update program to update from the previous version.
Ronaldlees

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]
Applications have always been the biggest problem, because Syllable has its own GUI toolkit. I made some headway last year in porting GTK+, Qt, Enlightenment and even X11. I got farthest with Enlightenment, but they're all still stuck at a level that their GUIs are not available yet.
[/quote]

Red/Rebol is being used to enhance application development on Syllable. Now maybe I'm seeing the strategy there. And yes - the independent GUI has the drawback in the catch-22 that it's a barrier to porting apps. You mentioned DirectFB, and I think there is a port of GTK+ to DirectFB. Maybe that's a shortcut to leverage GTK+ apps. I'm a regular user of Haiku, and they have the same problem with their independent GUI. Hence, no big ticket word-processor, etc. (yet)
Ronaldlees

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW - that enlightenment looks like a mighty stack of software, doesn't it?
Kaj
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enlightenment is comprehensive, yes, but not as large as GTK+ or Qt. I got most of it to work on Syllable, except the widget set, and it runs on SDL 1, so no multiple windows.

DirectFB was actually much harder to get to run better on Syllable Desktop. The port of GTK+ on DirectFB is for very old GTK and DirectFB versions, though. I think I got it to work halfway on Syllable Server, but it is basically unusable.
Ronaldlees

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Kaj"]Enlightenment is comprehensive, yes, but not as large as GTK+ or Qt. I got most of it to work on Syllable, except the widget set, and it runs on SDL 1, so no multiple windows.

DirectFB was actually much harder to get to run better on Syllable Desktop. The port of GTK+ on DirectFB is for very old GTK and DirectFB versions, though. I think I got it to work halfway on Syllable Server, but it is basically unusable.[/quote]

I hear you loud and clear there. DirectFB was a real headbanger to get working on FreeBSD. The result I ended up with was crippled in some way - I don't remember how now. Don't get old!
Ronaldlees

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with DirectFB. I'm sure the problem was on my end. Sad
Kaj
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirectFB's problem on Syllable is that it makes heavy use of PThreads, but I'd expect that to be comprehensive on FreeBSD.
Matej

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need something like MSWORD for MSDOS or WordPAD with DOC export. I dont need open office for book text writing...
What I need is simple text editor.
Is there any on Syllable?
Kaj
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several text editors, but no word processors, so no ODF formats and such, except in some command line tools.
Matej

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! Thank you for reply!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Syllable Forum Index -> Syllable Desktop All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: