Syllable Forum Index Syllable
Syllable Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OS comparison

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ronaldlees

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best things happening now on the hobby OS scene are the Haiku, Syllable, and Visopsys projects. Haiku is the largest one (source code size), followed by Syllable, and then by Visopsys. Each one, in succession, seems to cut the code by about half. In my mind, small is good. It's also a whole lot easier to establish a mental "whole picture" image... than say ... Linux.

Also, I'm not very trusting of "big software" anymore. I'm even hesitant to use some of the bigger open source operating systems. I probably use Haiku more than anything else at this point (they're getting set to issue a beta), and I use FreeBSD when I need a little more power than the smaller guys can currently deliver.
Kaj
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed; I have to use Linux, but it's drudgery. The mainstream systems all bog down machines you know are really supercomputers hardwarewise. The more experience you get, the more you see how software could be much smaller and simpler. I'm using REBOL family programming languages to maximise simplification, but Syllable in itself shows how much simplification can already be achieved using much the same software as the big systems.
Ronaldlees

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never tried Rebol. What would you compare it to? Python?
Kaj
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's most like a combination of Forth, Lisp (particularly NewLisp), Scheme, Logo - which was also derived from Scheme - and Self. All classic languages.

REBOL's designer was a Lisp and C programmer, and operating system designer, and made a commercial Logo implementation, before he came up with REBOL's design. He formed a company and for REBOL 1 he contracted someone who had done Scheme implementations. REBOL 1's implementation turned out to be too complex to modify by other developers, and way too slow to base the planned GUI engine on. REBOL 2 was rewritten as a Forth-like engine, much simpler and faster, but still with almost the same Scheme-like semantics.

Red is split in two languages: Red/System, basically a C-like language with REBOL notation, and Red based on that, mostly a REBOL clone but compiled instead of interpreted. So the history of the language family is to get ever closer to being able to implement operating system parts in them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Syllable Forum Index -> Syllable Desktop All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: