Syllable Forum Index Syllable
Syllable Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is your GUI toolkit?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
m.alessandrini

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:24 am    Post subject: What is your GUI toolkit? Reply with quote

Hi, I'm very fascinated from Syllable. I'm curious about its GUI toolkit, and I could not find specific documentation... What toolkit is it? I mean, is it based on existing ones, or did you make it from scratch?
Bye and Thanks
Michele
Kaj
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you like Syllable. Smile

It's a custom toolkit. Syllable was AtheOS before, so you could say it's the AtheOS toolkit. AtheOS started as a successor to Amiga OS, but eventually the GUI was inspired most by BeOS, to the extent that BeOS documentation is helpful when developing for Syllable.
m.alessandrini

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your insight.
Can I ask you something, I don't mean to be critical in any way, believe me: about user-space programs, why the choice of reimplementing everything from scratch? I'm thinking of the browser and the e-mail program, for example, there are many free ones with hundred developers and many years of refinement, wouldn't it be better to port existing programs? Think about other applications one can need, like office suite or the like... Isn't there the risk that doing new programs from scratch can led to not equally optimal results?
Anyway I restate my admiration in your project. I really miss a simpler OS where one can truly understand how it is working, or even write a piece of it if needed. I use linux, since 10-15 years, and I'm happy of course, sometimes I feel like it is overkilling for normal desktop usage. It's many years I gave up in tryng to recompile a kernel myself, for example, simply too difficult to even understand what you're doing. I'm also a programmer, and digging inside an OS that's not too difficult, it's an incredible chance to learn many important things.
Bye
Michele
Kaj
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AtheOS started halfway the nineties, and its GUI was created around the same time as the GTK+ and Qt projects, so there was no modern GUI toolkit to reuse.

AtheOS was the very first project to port the KHTML engine for its browser from KDE, many years before Apple took it to develop it into WebKit.

Seeing that AtheOS already had both native and web toolkits superior in performance, there was no need to use other toolkits. Linux was very bad at the desktop for many years, and the aim of Syllable was to get there first. This would have happened if not everyone had focused blindly on Linux.

Now there's a new situation, and on this forum you can read of our attempts to port other toolkits. As you say, those are much more complex than Syllable's own, and we haven't really gotten them to work yet. Syllable's own programs are much better, and porting others will degrade the Syllable experience, so we are in the unfortunate situation that nobody wants to write Syllable programs because there are few users, and nobody wants to port other toolkits because those programs are already available on Linux.

I think people would be surprised how well ported programs would perform on Syllable, but the work needs to be done first.
frank

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:23 am    Post subject: Why not porting the GUI toolkit to Linux Reply with quote

Why don't you port the toolkit to linux?
The mail obstacle for programmers is they want to code for a big userbase.

So that leaves you two possibilities:
1. Pull in the programmers from the big userbases by porting their toolkits.
2. Extend the userbase of the programmers by porting the Syllable-toolkit to other systems (maybe even a set of stubs to run syllable-programs on a QT or GTK-toolkit).

Just a thought
Kaj
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a project to do just that, but it wasn't finished. There were also people who didn't want it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Syllable Forum Index -> Syllable Desktop All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: