Syllable Forum Index Syllable
Syllable Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Netsurf on Syllable
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ronaldlees

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize the reference in the post I just made about libpng seems odd, in that the libpng versions could exist side-by-side with no issues, so long as the applications linking with them are using the shared libraries. But - Webster is using static linking with libpng.

Maybe that's not such an issue, since (really) nobody is recompiling Webster anyway (Ok - I did it once). When the new Webster is configured, it can use shared libraries (not just for libpng, but the other ones it links statically). How many apps on Syllable use libpng anyway? Perhaps we could bite the bullet and upgrade, since libpng1.2 is vulnerable.
Ronaldlees

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are your builder recipes all referencing the original resource libs instead of the linked index directory libs? That would solve the problem I referenced in the last post.
Ronaldlees

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, anyone wanting to see Netsurf in action on Syllable, can go to:

https://programmingmiscellany4small0s.wordpress.com/small-operating-systems-1/
Kaj
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's very nice!

Most of those dependencies are usually painless to upgrade. The recipe history is messy, but the cURL recipe is at 7.25 here:

http://syllable.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/syllable/syllable/system/apps/utils/Builder/packages/Syllable/cURL--current/cURL--current.recipe?revision=1.2&view=markup

Flex is at 2.5.33:

http://syllable.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/syllable/syllable/system/apps/utils/Builder/packages/flex-2.5.33/flex-2.5.33.recipe?revision=1.2&view=markup

If LibXML 2.8.0 is not sufficient, you can probably just bump the version number:

http://syllable.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/syllable/syllable/system/apps/utils/Builder/packages/LibraryXML--current/LibraryXML--current.recipe?revision=1.1&view=markup

The LibPNG recipe is at 1.4.11 here:

http://syllable.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/syllable/syllable/system/apps/utils/Builder/packages/LibraryPNG--current/LibraryPNG--current.recipe?revision=1.3&view=markup

It mentions the incompatibility with the 1.5 series. Many programs on Syllable use LibPNG, and with these well-known libraries that we include in the system, we try to link to them dynamically. However, the structure of the /system/resources/ folder includes version numbers, so different versions can be installed side by side. The runtime loader/linker does the rest by selecting the linked version.

What do you mean by recipes "referencing the original resource libs instead of the linked index directory libs"? Recipes are designed to be as independent as possible from specific locations.

CPAN is not supported by Builder or Packager, so it will do its own thing, using independent builds and file system layouts.

By the way, the Beeb was not a toy. Smile It was one of the best computers at the time. I've seen them control factory machines, and we had them running info channels for more than a decade on our own TV network that we built on our student campus. After the Beeb I used RISC OS on the first Acorn Archimedes in The Netherlands.
Ronaldlees

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so I decided to fix up libpng first, by downloading the libpng-1.4.11 recipe from sourceforge.net (using your link, above).

I did the usual builder bootstrap:

build update
build log
package unregister builder
package register builder

I renamed libpng-1.4.11.recipe to libpng-1.4.16.recipe, created the new directory /resources/Builder/packages/libpng-1.4.16, made changes to the recipe and copied it (libpng-1.4.16.recipe) into the new directory. I had to change the version from 1.4.11 to 1.4.16 because 1.4.11 is no longer available (or so it seems). Anyway, this is good exercise even if it is. Since ftp.simplesystems.org changed their directory layout, I changed the ftp paths in the new recipe to match, and changed the target source file name to match (1.4.16).

When I tried:

build get libpng-1.4.16

Builder ignored my new recipe, and tried to get the source from the old path (and from a bunch of other places where it could not be found).

So, I suspect there is a more automated way to create a new recipe? The only help I get from build -help is the command to list existing recipes.
Kaj
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no point to downloading single recipes from Builder's tree.

build update

downloads all of them automatically. Further, the package (un)register steps are only needed to force the old Builder in the release package to the new branch. When you've done them once, they're not needed again. Using "builder" doesn't even work: the correct package name is "Builder".

You shouldn't rename the LibraryPNG--current recipe to a versioned name, either. The newer recipes named --current are meant to easily update recipes to new versions that don't change their build procedures much. That's why I said you can usually just bump the version number.

Also, many packages don't have a single recipe, but a base recipe in packages/ and an overlay recipe in packages/Syllable/. If you don't want to change existing recipes, or want to keep your recipes together, you could make an overlay directory of your own and add it to Builder/settings.
Ronaldlees

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - I get the generic name thing now. I couldn't find anything close to 1.4.16 in the recipe directory the first time, so now I've edited the generic recipe file:

[i]/boot/resources/Builder/packages/LibraryPNG--current/LibraryPNG--current.recipe[/i]

I made all the changes in this generic file that I originally made in the downloaded file, but Builder does exactly the same thing. Maybe there's an overlay for LibraryPNG that's named something else?
Kaj
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The file names and versions and download locations are generally in the base recipes, so that should be alright. What is the exact Builder command you are issuing?
Ronaldlees

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Kaj:

Here's the Builder command:

[[email protected]:~/buildpng] build get LibraryPNG
Ronaldlees

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the same thing with

build get LibraryPNG--current
Ronaldlees

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wants to search the sourceforge site for sources, and ignores ftp.simplesystems.org
Ronaldlees

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[[email protected]:~/buildpng]build get LibraryPNG--current

Fetching LibraryPNG--current

LibraryPNG--current

Warning: Status: testing

Installing source

Downloading source package(s)

Trying http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/libpng/libpng-1.4.16.tar.bz2
Kaj
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last form is the correct one. But it looks like the recipe is not found, or the download information is not found, so there must be something wrong in a part you haven't shown yet. What is the diff you made to the recipe?
Kaj
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, the Status: testing indicates that the recipe is found. So there's an error in the download information.
Ronaldlees

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

;version 1.4.11
version 1.4.16

;packages libpng/libpng-1.4.11
packages libpng/libpng-1.4.16

ftp://ftp.simplesystems.org/pub/png/src
ftp://ftp.simplesystems.org/pub/png/src/history/
ftp://ftp.simplesystems.org/pub/libpng/png/src/

; ftp archive sources moved to different directory with version nos
ftp://ftp.simplesystems.org/pub/libpng/png/src/libpng14

---------------------------------------------
This is all. Seems straightforward.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Syllable Forum Index -> Syllable Desktop All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: