Syllable Forum Index Syllable
Syllable Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is Syllable Desktop still secure on the internet in 2015 ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
UKBE

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:23 pm    Post subject: Is Syllable Desktop still secure on the internet in 2015 ? Reply with quote

I like the concept of Syllable and I have discovered it in learning more about Rebol and Red.

I would like to replace a windows xp environment on an old laptop with Syllable. Is this viable in 2015 ?

Ronnie
Kaj
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That depends entirely on the software you want to run. XP machines are usually good targets for installing Syllable. You'll get very different software, of course. Securitywise, the biggest drawback would be that the OpenSSL version in Syllable is old and has known vulnerabilities, and that its collection of certificates is old. Then again, more or less the same is true for Windows XP by now.

Syllable Desktop is not very secure to begin with, but the range of software you would run on it not very broad, so the problem has always been limited. I have never experienced security problems with Syllable or heard of them from others.
UKBE

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:28 pm    Post subject: Is Syllable Desktop still secure on the internet in 2015 ? Reply with quote

Thank you for the quick reply. Ok, I can assume that this platform is not a natural target for major malware and thus a good replacement for an XP laptop.

I will proceed with the replacement and also use it as a target red environment as well.

Ronnie
UKBE

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:31 pm    Post subject: Is Syllable Desktop still secure on the internet in 2015 ? Reply with quote

What is the status of the next release of Syllable Desktop ?
Kaj
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, Syllable is mostly like Unix and Linux in its security architecture, so it is much more resistent to attacks than Windows.

Do you know where to find the Red binaries for Syllable?

There is currently no time plan for a next Syllable release.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Syllable Forum Index -> Syllable Desktop All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: