Syllable Forum Index Syllable
Syllable Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can I install grub without re-installing the whole OS?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stodge

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Can I install grub without re-installing the whole OS? Reply with quote

I'm installing Syllable into VirtualBox, but I'm not sure how to setup grub. Should I install grub to the root partition or the MBR? I tried the MBR but it failed, but I'm not sure if I had something configured incorrectly. I only have one partition (2Gb) in VirtualBox. I rebooted and wanted to install to the root partition but the installer crashed.

Can I install grub without re-installing the whole OS?
Vanders
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've got one (virtual) disk then you should install GRUB onto the MBR. However if it didn't work, there must have been a reason, so it may be worth trying to work out why it failed the first time before you try again. How did you create your partition? If the partition starts before block #64 on the disk then GRUB may fail to install correctly: the Syllable DiskManager tool will take this into account, but other partitioning tools may not.

Did you get any error messages from the installer when you tried to install GRUB? They may be helpful.

If you just want to go ahead and try it, you can install GRUB by either following the manual installation steps in the installation instructions, or by booting the install CD, exiting from the installer and then using the "grub-install" command to install GRUB to your MBR: in your case "grub-install /dev/disk/ata/hda/raw" or "grub-install hd0" should install GRUB onto the MBR of the first disk.
stodge

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mkdir cannot create directory /boot/grub: permission denied
stodge

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the DiskManager. Looks like the partition starts at 63, at least that's the number listed next to the partition.
stodge

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it - I hit 'C' during the installation startup, and followed the instructions on the Syllable site. It's too slow in VirtualBox though. Can I upgrade 0.63 that is installed on my PC to the latest without going through a full install? Or is there a vmplayer image for 0.6.4?
kasbah

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stodge, this is rather easy. If you click on the "Get the Installation CD" in the "Things To Do" Menu on the left top of the website, you get directed to the sourceforge download site. There you have a section called "Additional files:", where you can find the Upgrade from 0.6.3 to 0.6.4 and the VMWare image.

If you choose "Download" -> "Browse All Files" from the sourceforge menu, you see all files officially available to download for syllable.

Instructions, how to do the upgrade are included in the upgrade package.
stodge

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did I miss that vmware image. Thanks!

Works just fine. Smile
stodge

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't download the update as the download links aren't clickable in Abrowse in 0.63. VMware is too slow and Abrowse just hangs for several minutes under it. So, can't download anything.
kasbah

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i tried syllable the first time, it was syllable 0.6.4 in VMWare Player under Windows some weeks ago. I did have the same problems with really poor network perfomance and long hangs. When i installed it natively on my Laptop, these Problems where gone, so i think the network driver in syllable might have a problem with the VMWare Player and stopped using it in VMWare.

You can create a CD or an iso image (use the image recorder from nero, if you are using nero) with all the files you need and insert this in the virtual CD drive of the VMWare Player to get them onto your syllable installation.
stodge

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed the update, spent 24 hours getting the network working, logged in, realised ABrowse didn't work anymore. If I ran it from the console, nothing happened - no output, no window.
Kaj
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new version of ABrowse (and Whisper) isn't in the upgrade. You need to install it separately.
stodge

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Kaj"]The new version of ABrowse (and Whisper) isn't in the upgrade. You need to install it separately.[/quote]

Cunning! Download an install an upgrade without a working browsers! Haha! If I'd known that I would have downloaded the updated ABrowse before installing the update.

Thanks for the help.
Kaj
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syllable isn't perfect yet, and admittedly, neither is the current upgrade. There are a number of ways to get files into Syllable, though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Syllable Forum Index -> Syllable Desktop All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: