Syllable Forum Index Syllable
Syllable Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Adding some hardware....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lucas Murad

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Adding some hardware.... Reply with quote

Now, equipments wich can scan pictures, print, copy and read memory cards are common. I understand that they're 4 hardware devices connected by an internal hub, requiring 4 Drivers for each one. As computer technician, i know that all i have to do is to copy the drivers and applications to this routes:

dev/printer.c
dev/scanner.c
dev/cardreader.c
desktop/ScanSoftware
desktop/PrinterTools

The cards wold be automounted as hard drives.

Would be possible to put all these files on a single package, wich, when i click it on the desktop, sets the files and programs where they have to? If someone makes this, we have serious advantages over OS X! Finnaly, when i plug this hypothetical all-in-one, Syllabe can recognise it and make it work with no more intervention from me, the user.
Kaj
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even better! All this is already included in Syllable! You don't have to install anything!
Lucas Murad

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: Just plug & play? Reply with quote

Kaj, you mean that, when i plug the artifact, Syllable will look for the drivers, and if they aren't available, the OS will ask me for a Floppy/Cd/Pendrive with the files. When the files are copied.... the artifact starts working!
Kaj
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, read again: All this is already included in Syllable! You don't have to install anything!
cipri

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Adding some hardware.... Reply with quote

[quote="Lucas Murad"]Now, equipments wich can scan pictures, print, copy and read memory cards are common. I understand that they're 4 hardware devices connected by an internal hub, requiring 4 Drivers for each one. As computer technician, i know that all i have to do is to copy the drivers and applications to this routes:

dev/printer.c
dev/scanner.c
dev/cardreader.c
desktop/ScanSoftware
desktop/PrinterTools

The cards wold be automounted as hard drives.

Would be possible to put all these files on a single package, wich, when i click it on the desktop, sets the files and programs where they have to? If someone makes this, we have serious advantages over OS X! Finnaly, when i plug this hypothetical all-in-one, Syllabe can recognise it and make it work with no more intervention from me, the user.[/quote]

Yes, and I think this could be quite easy. I think there will be such a "installer", but at the moment it is not so important.
I think this could be the reason for the recomended file-extension ".application" of native applications.
For example a trivial installer could look like this:
For example if some double-clicks the .application file the "installer" could be started that gets the path to the .application file. This installer could unzip the files to a temp folder. After that it could look to the attribute of each file and search for the "install_path" and move that file to the "install_path".
Kaj
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will not rip .application packages apart that way, but there could be something like a .system type package containing such things as drivers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Syllable Forum Index -> Syllable Desktop All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: