Syllable Forum Index Syllable
Syllable Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Latest Weekly

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EdG

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:19 am    Post subject: Latest Weekly Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm liking the new forum because it logs me in! ...anyway. I tried the latest weekly yesterday and i guess the devs will be happy to know that it seems to work perfectly on my Acer Aspire 1353 XC laptop (although ABrowse didn't presumably just binary compatibility broken temporarily).

I'll put a kernel log online somewhere in case its of use to anyone because i did notice some messages about ACPI. I'm not certain whether there is still Powernow code available somewhere (maybe i should trawl through the mailing list or google?).

One other note is that i didnt realise the panel at the top is actually the dock now? I thought the dock was a seperate application? Changing the orientation to right moved the panel which i expected though because if the dock is orientated that way i suppose the panel must be. Screenshot plugin works nicely.

Although i must admit that the bug with radeon chip on this laptop is still there whereby selecting 800x600 does not work, but thats not a new bug and the display program works perfectly setting it back to 1024x768 after 15 seconds if it fails, i don't know if the old bug reports were imported onto here or if i have to write a new one for that.

I did notice that the desktop changer changed my desktop just when it was enabled but i think that was just a default option of random in there somewhere, i have no problems with that and its nice to see pleaseing desktop backgrounds coming with an OS.

I still notice an issue where the mouse pointer can be outside one menu item but not quite on the next one but i did not see it stopping me using the menus or doing anything annoying, i just noticed the cursor movement in relation to the menu.

I don't know if menus disappear automatically on syllable when you move off them but some people do complain about things like that....

Oh and a while ago we talked about my filesystem showing as the full size of the disk, Vander's (i think) you were right formatting it gave me back a correct reading for file system size and use on AFS. No problems with the installer except once i think it skipped an option because i held enter down too long but i restarted and it was fine. I even tried moving the terminal around while it was installing Syllable to see if i could break anything Very Happy and noticed you can change the font Smile

I will give a link to a screenshot as well in case the system info screen is of use to anyone... although i guess its not.

UPDATE ACPI Exception occurs just before radeon driver loads - i will post kernel log and see if a new bug report is necessary. As i've said before if someone can point me to any acpi stuff that needs testing that i can do i will do all i can to test it because it is something that is lacking accross every single operating system i have ever used and my laptop would really benefit from it as would so many other people.

Last edited by EdG on Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:36 am; edited 1 time in total
EdG

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh also i am happy to test on my athlon 64 x2 system if i can get it to install onto usb, unfortunately i dont own a desktop cd drive - believe it or not i built my desktop from ebay parts and have never needed one because my laptop has one and the only one i bought i donated to a server Razz

Maybe syllable server is better from usb? meh I guess i've crammed a lot into one/two posts here. I will check the bug reports anyway when i can.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Syllable Forum Index -> Syllable Desktop All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: