Syllable Forum Index Syllable
Syllable Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

When is the 0.6.5 release coming?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lxstoian

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:10 am    Post subject: When is the 0.6.5 release coming? Reply with quote

It's been quite some time since the last release and I'm wondering when 0.6.5 will be out. Also what improvements will it bring over 0.6.4?
Vanders
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]I'm wondering when 0.6.5 will be out[/quote]

Within the next 24 hours, if all goes well. We're just finishing off the last few bits and waiting for the SourceForge mirrors to catch up.

[quote]Also what improvements will it bring over 0.6.4?[/quote]

libusb & scanner support, new drivers for S3 DeltaChrome video cards and D-Link DL2000 network cards, USB improvements, network stack improvements, some new window decorators, new Network preferences, SimpleBurn & cdrecord are included, changes to the file system layout to make managing and upgrading system components easier and the development files (Headers and static libraries) are now in a separate package. Amongst others.

We're also starting to use 7zip to compress the ISO and VMWare image files, which makes them considerably smaller downloads.
lxstoian

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite a list of improvements. The wait should be worth it. Can't wait to test it maybe this one will boot on my pc or I'm left with vmware.

Edit:
One last question. Do u expect the next release to come in a shorter time then this one?
cau0730

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to mention a new Clipper and Camera. Camera has now print screen support and clipper is quite a change Smile

Rick
Jonas

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick: Do you mean that when you press the PrintScreen key Camera will take a snapshot? That would be great!
lxstoian

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does Syllable have read and write NTFS and FAt suport? I read somewhere that it does.
Kaj
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Jonas"]Rick: Do you mean that when you press the PrintScreen key Camera will take a snapshot? That would be great![/quote]

Yes.
Kaj
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="lxstoian"]Does Syllable have read and write NTFS and FAt suport? I read somewhere that it does.[/quote]

FAT support is read/write, NTFS support is read-only so far.
lxstoian

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any improvements on ABrowse and will we see any time soon a port of openJDK and gnash? It will be great to see ABrowse a full fledged modern browser with all the necessary plugins. I have a pc I want to use syllable on just for fast browsing the web and these are the main things stopping me.
Vanders
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="lxstoian"]Are there any improvements on ABrowse and will we see any time soon a port of openJDK and gnash?[/quote]

There haven't been any changes in ABrowse, Whisper or Contact in this release. Gnash already runs on Syllable (as an SDL application) but we don't have the developers to do any work to port it as a native application, nor do we have resources to port OpenJDK.
lxstoian

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good solution would be maybe a bounty system like that from Haikuware or TeamAros. It will be nice to have some focused development so that Syllable can get new applications. The main developers can focus on improving syllable and the ones that take up a bounty will focus only a specific application that the community wants.
Vanders
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always been a bit hesitant to use bounties, but it may be something we'll start doing.
lxstoian

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't use them for the main components of the os and just as a way to get more applications working. Syllable is a great little os but it needs more applications so users can take advantage of all it can offer. The bounties can do that and would respond directly to the communities needs. And maybe syllable could even join GSOC 2008. It did pay out for Haiku.
petermac

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:31 am    Post subject: Which version of premium CD is available from lulu? Reply with quote

Great to see that 0.6.5 is out!

The lulu site still has the 0.6.4 Premium CD, can we assume that if we order, you will ship the 0.6.5 version?

Thanks
Vanders
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Which version of premium CD is available from lulu? Reply with quote

[quote="petermac"]Great to see that 0.6.5 is out!

The lulu site still has the 0.6.4 Premium CD, can we assume that if we order, you will ship the 0.6.5 version?[/quote]

No. Lulu is automated: if you order 0.6.4, you'll get a 0.6.4 CD. We'll be working on a new premium CD in the next day or two and Lulu will be updated then.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Syllable Forum Index -> Syllable Desktop All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: