Syllable Forum Index Syllable
Syllable Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sound issues with vmware es137x audio.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adamk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:14 am    Post subject: Sound issues with vmware es137x audio. Reply with quote

Trying to playback an ogg file with ColdFish, in Syllable 0.6.4 in vmware workstation 6, I get this:

0:ColdFish::cf_app : Device /boot/system/drivers/dev/battery on bus acpi is disabled
0:ColdFish::cf_app : Device /boot/system/drivers/dev/battery on bus acpi is disabled
0:ColdFish::cf_app : Scan for floppy-drives exported by bios:
0:ColdFish::cf_app : Scan for hard-drives exported by bios:
0:ColdFish::cf_app : USB: USB disk driver added
0:ColdFish::cf_app : USB: USB disk driver unnecessary
0:ColdFish::cf_app : Disabling device /boot/system/drivers/dev/disk/usb on bus usb
0:ColdFish::cf_app : Error: device /boot/system/drivers/dev/disk/usb failed to initialize itself
0:ColdFish::cf_app : Device /boot/system/drivers/dev/audio/emu10k1 on bus pci is disabled
0:ColdFish::cf_app : Device /boot/system/drivers/dev/audio/es1370 on bus pci is disabled
0:ColdFish::cf_app : Device /boot/system/drivers/dev/audio/hda on bus pci is disabled
0:ColdFish::cf_app : Device /boot/system/drivers/dev/audio/i8xx on bus pci is disabled
0:ColdFish::cf_app : Device /boot/system/drivers/dev/audio/maestro on bus pci is disabled
0:ColdFish::cf_app : device_init: Initializing device
0:ColdFish::cf_app : sb_dsp_init: Initializing SBPro dsp.
0:ColdFish::cf_app : sb_dsp_reset: Resetting device.
0:ColdFish::cf_app : sb_dsp_reset: Reset failed.
0:ColdFish::cf_app : sb_dsp_init: SoundBlaster card not found.
0:ColdFish::cf_app : device_init: Failed to create 1 node -1
0:ColdFish::cf_app : Error: device /boot/system/drivers/dev/audio/sbpro failed to initialize itself
0:ColdFish::cf_app : Device /boot/system/drivers/dev/audio/trident on bus pci is disabled
0:ColdFish::cf_app : Device /boot/system/drivers/dev/audio/via686a on bus pci is disabled
0:ColdFish::cf_app : Device /boot/system/drivers/dev/audio/vt82xx on bus pci is disabled
0:ColdFish::cf_app : Device /boot/system/drivers/dev/audio/ymfpci on bus pci is disabled
0:mediaserver::mediaserver : Device /boot/system/drivers/dev/battery on bus acpi is disabled
0:mediaserver::mediaserver : SNDCTL_DSP_GETOSPACE: No implemented
0:mediaserver::media_server_flush : SNDCTL_DSP_GETODELAY: No implemented

That final error repeats till I quit out of ColdFish. Of course, I don't actually get any audio Smile

Adam
Kaj
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's supposed to be an es1371 driver that may well be the one that is used on VMware. Is it not in your log?
adamk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I probably should have posted the full log for this one:

http://68.45.111.238/snd_es1371_vmware.txt

As you can see, it *is* using the es1371 driver Smile

Adam
Kaj
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People, if you want Syllable to improve, you should tell us these things. Apparently sound has been broken on VMware for half a year, and this is the first report we get, just when we have finalised the Syllable for the coming months.
Vanders
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried switching the default audio output from "Media server es1371" to the OSS output? That may work.
adamk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Kaj"]People, if you want Syllable to improve, you should tell us these things. Apparently sound has been broken on VMware for half a year, and this is the first report we get, just when we have finalised the Syllable for the coming months.[/quote]

Sorry, but I just discovered this myself. I first saw it about a week ago, but it was on an older version of vmware workstation (4.5, iirc) and I didn't want to report it until I could confirm that it was still a problem with the latest version of vmware workstation.

I'm about to give Vander's suggestion a try.

Adam
adamk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Vanders"]Have you tried switching the default audio output from "Media server es1371" to the OSS output? That may work.[/quote]

It did not Sad Same error.

Adam
Vanders
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="adamk"][quote="Kaj"]People, if you want Syllable to improve, you should tell us these things. Apparently sound has been broken on VMware for half a year, and this is the first report we get, just when we have finalised the Syllable for the coming months.[/quote]

Sorry, but I just discovered this myself.[/quote]

Kaj's comment wasn't directed at you personally, but several thousand people have downloaded the 0.6.4 VMWare image and it's very likely at least one of them noticed it and didn't report it, which as you can imagine is a bit annoying from our point of view!

[quote]Same error.[/quote]

Shame. Should be an easy fix but of course it wont be done in the 0.6.5 release. At worst you'll need to try a development build, or copy the new driver from a development build into a 0.6.5 installation.
adamk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I didn't take Kaj's remark personally Smile I did notice that my log file showed a boot time of 01/01/2007 and wanted to explain why I didn't post this back then, though Smile

Adam
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Syllable Forum Index -> Syllable Desktop All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: