Syllable Forum Index Syllable
Syllable Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

0.6.5 boot stuck in a loop
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
F-Lexx

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:36 am    Post subject: 0.6.5 boot stuck in a loop Reply with quote

I'm trying to install 0.6.5 on my new machine, it's an AMD64 X2 6000+ at 3 ghz, Asus M2N-SLI motherboard with an nForce 560 SLI chipset, 2 GB of DDR2 RAM and an nvidia 8800GS video card from Gainward.
I've added the boot options "disable_acpi=true" and "enable_ata_dma=false" however the boot sequence seems to get stuck in a loop saying "1:kernel::idle_01 : do_call_v86() wrong CPU (1), will schedule" over and over.

Last edited by F-Lexx on Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Flemming

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think "enable_ata_dma=false" is needed, so you might want to replace that with "disable_smp=true".
F-Lexx

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But wasn't Syllable supposed to be working with SMP by default? I saw Kaj mentioning SMP as one of Syllable's strengths in another thread..
Anyway, I'll try disabling SMP and see if it works.
Vanders
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="F-Lexx"]But wasn't Syllable supposed to be working with SMP by default?[/quote]

Yes, but that doesn't mean it actually always [i]works[/i] on every machine. ACPI and SMP are extraordinarily complex systems.
F-Lexx

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, it DID work when I disabled SMP and ACPI. Thanks.
BTW, is there any way to set the monitor in more than 60 hz? Because it's really heavy on the eyes...
Morph
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was a known bug in previous versions with certain systems. I had the same problem with previous builds on my Athlon X2 64. Now I run Syllable in VirtualPC and I haven't tried it on hardware for a while, but I guess the problem is still there.
F-Lexx, could you post it as a bug in the bugs forum, with all your system specs including motherboard? I'll test the latest build on my hardware and post my specs it fails.
Vanders, do you have any idea what might cause this? Do you think it would be hard to track down & fix?
Morph
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can set the refresh rate along with the resolution in the screen prefs.
Vanders
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Morph"]Vanders, do you have any idea what might cause this? Do you think it would be hard to track down & fix?[/quote]

No, other than only CPU #0 should ever enter v86 mode. Quite how the kernel stops a thread on any other CPU attempting it is a bit of a mystery.

Perhaps the answer is to trap any attempt to enter v86 mode from CPUs >0. If a thread tries, change the run CPU for the thread to be CPU #0 and re-schedule so that it will restart the do_v86() syscall on the "correct" CPU. The only downside to this is that it screws with the CPU affinity and it could lead to an unbalanced CPU workload if a lot of threads got moved to CPU #0.
F-Lexx

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Morph"]You can set the refresh rate along with the resolution in the screen prefs.[/quote]

60 hz is the only option I get there. I thought maybe I could edit a config file or manually choose another driver, as I would do in Linux.

I've edited the first post including my full specs. Could an admin please move this thread to the Bugs section?
Morph
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The config file is /system/config/appserver. You can try editing it, but have an install cd or live cd handy in case you need to revert it back if the new settings don't work properly.
c0x

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the SMP bug...

As i see in the scheduler source v86 threads can only run on the boot CPU, they'll be never scheduled to other CPUs.

In the first post, if i'm correct the problem is that the v86 thread is running on a CPU that's not the boot CPU but the thread won't be rescheduled to the boot CPU?

c0x
F-Lexx

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Morph"]The config file is /system/config/appserver. You can try editing it, but have an install cd or live cd handy in case you need to revert it back if the new settings don't work properly.[/quote]

I've looked into the file but I didn't find any line specifying the driver used. Also, I've been browsing the file system and found the folder /system/drivers/dev/graphics/ containing a driver "geforcefx", among others, which would probably explain why my older geforce fx 5500 was working fine in syllable. Is there any way I could force this driver to be used for my newer card?
Vanders
The Knights of Syllable

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="F-Lexx"]Is there any way I could force this driver to be used for my newer card?[/quote]

No. Driver detection in Syllable is totally automatic. In this case it is working fine: the GeForceFX driver does not support newer cards, so your system is using the VESA driver, hence the 60Hz only. The driver has to be updated to recognise your card: this [i]might[/i] be as simple as adding new PCI device IDs to the driver but it generally involves adding bits of code to support newer chips.
F-Lexx

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I had a look in the online version of the geforcefx driver and i see that it supports all the geforce cards up to Geforce 7900GTX and such. Thus, I think it wouldn't be a problem if the 8 and 9 series cards were added. I would do it myself if only someone would tell me how exactly I could modify the source file and add it there...
Btw, I'm basing everything I said on what I've seen in the following file:
http://syllable.cvs.sourceforge.net/syllable/syllable/system/sys/appserver/appserver/drivers/video/geforcefx/fx.cpp?revision=1.14&view=markup
If I'm right, one would only have to search for and add the device IDs of newer cards in the " static const struct chip_info asChipInfos[] ".
F-Lexx

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I've modified the file and added the IDs for most of the new cards that I could find. Now what should I do? Would anyone want to take a look at it and maybe upload it to CVS? Or could I do that myself? I'm pretty clueless at the moment... Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Syllable Forum Index -> Bugs All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: